Home made Sorghum malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abhishek Dewan

Reaction score
Hello, I bought about 1.5 KG of Sorghum from a store. I washed it vigorously. I then soaked the grains overnight and spread it out on an oven trey next day morning. By noon, it was already sprouted. I had kept the grains inside oven to maintain the temperature & boy the glass of oven was covered by droplets and I turned grains multiple times that day and the following day. I didn't add much water to it. What was surprising that on 3rd day, acrospires were already as big as grain. I pressed a couple of grains and thought they were already ready for next step. So I thought of making them like a crystal malt and after briefly keeping them in sun to remove excess moisture/water, I put them inside oven. Starting temperature 180c and then dialled up to 250 & kept very briefly at 300. Pretty soon the green malts were converted. I kept them in a bag for 2 weeks. Yesterday I took the bag out and man, they smell delicious. I decided to make a small beer to know the malt better. So I crushed a cup of grains and after mashing, I'll make about a litre of beer. I'll post more updates.

What is amazing is in 3 days, from grains to malt. This was the fastest growing stuff I've ever seen.

Attachments

• sorgum malt soaked.jpg
    sorgum malt soaked.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 30
  • sorgum malt sprouted.jpg
    sorgum malt sprouted.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 30
  • sorgum malt oven.jpg
    sorgum malt oven.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 30
  • sorgum malt finished.jpg
    sorgum malt finished.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 30
So I bottled it finally. OG was 1.040 and final was 1.01. Added brown sugar for priming and made a liter. Will update on progress. Cheers!

Attachments

• F3AA41D3-6B1E-47E8-A2E7-42106252597E.jpeg
    F3AA41D3-6B1E-47E8-A2E7-42106252597E.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
Back