Home Brewin in Ct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trodd

Reaction score
Whats happenin everyone. This is my first post here. Im just looking for some better techniques (especially with mashing), but figured i'd check out the forum. I've made about 6 batches so far, but had to toss 3 due to a lactic bactera issue (i beleive it was from mashing in my oven) I have since stopped that. Latest one is a BBC (Bershire Brewing Co) Coffee porter clone called "Grounds for Divorce". It'll be done in 6 days!

Welcome!

I'm working on a coffee/mocha stout myself, if all goes according to plan I'll be brewing this weekend. Not quite to the mashing stage, I'm on my fourth batch, but I did just complete my lauter tun a couple weeks ago.

I love Berkshire Brewing Co, although I will confess to not having tried their coffee porter yet. Their River Ale is probably the best beer I've tried in a while. Gotta make it over to the BBC some Saturday for their tours (I'm in the northern Berkshires).

I actually took the tour with my girlfriend a few hours before i brewed the clone. (GREAT TOUR) I picked up the kit from Beer & Winemaking Supplies in N.Hampton, and had the master brewer (who was giving the tour) check the reciepe. (which turned out to be pretty close) I tried the brew before bottling, and taste good so far. I cant wait to crack teh first bottle next weekend with my friends!

I've been to that HBS, although I'll confess to preferring Hennessy Home Brew in Troy, NY (both are about an hour from my house). Can you post the recipe for me before I brew mine? I'm still a little nervous about my hops, I'd like to see what you did (and what BBC said was good).

Here is the recipe:

6# Light Malt Extract
2# Amber Malt Extract
20oz UK Crystal Malt
8oz Chocolate malt
2oz Black malt
3/4oz high alpha hops (bittering) (BBC Suggested Northern Brewer)
Engish Style Yeast (I used White labs Liquid)
2.5oz espresso grounds (in grain mash)
3/4 cup priming sugar

OG 1.060
FG 1.015

BBC suggested Fuggles for aroma but was not in the kit.

This is the first time that i have written a recipe so forgive me if you need more info, just let me know what i forgot and i'll add it.

Ok, I was planning on using Northern Brewer, but will probably cut back on the amount (I was thinking about twice that, although I also have some lactose in the mix, I'm using dark LME and DME and more crystal; my stout will be a little bigger overall). That's also a lot less coffee than I was led to believe I would need - only 2.5 oz?

Thanks for posting, I think I'm going to pull back a little on the hops and the coffee as a result. I'll definately make the trip over the mountain one of these weekends.

Back