Home brew oat milk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premsoul

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I realise my question may seem a little odd in a beer Brewers forum but it seems there is much to bye learned here from this community.

So let me start by saying what I'm trying to achieve. I am trying to create an oat milk that is not thick and slimey. I am living in Switzerland and there are a number of companies producing this oat milk using a process of converting the starches to sugars.

From my own experiment yesterday (please excuse my over simplification of this process I'm not being pretentious but rather ignorant)
1kg rolled oats to 10 L water, soaked for 30 mins and blended to a fine consistancy.
I heated the mash up to approx 85degree C and then added approx 10ml Alpha Amylase. I tried to keep temperature as close as I could to the recommended amount of between 85-90 degree celcius for 1 hour.
This seemed to work something on the mix as it became sweeter and less thick and slimey. I still found it however to be pretty slimey. What is want from this is a watery milky texture witthout the slime.
Can anyone help me with this problem. Do I need to add beta Amylase also?

Thanks for your time and in advance for your help.

85-90C is way too hot for alpha amylase - it denatures above 77C. This is why nothing happened in your mash.

The optimum temperature for alpha amylase to operate is 65-68C.

I guess you want to keep the complex sugars extracted from the starch, as a replacement for lactose? If so, do not use​ beta amylase, as that will break the complex sugars down to simple sugars, and give you a very sweet wort, rather than "milk".

My expriments are all to make 1 liter and typically look like this,
1.25L water and 100g flaked oats.
blended and then pour into a pot and heat to 45 for beta glucan rest, ive tried this at varying times between 20 mins and 1.5 hours, does the amount of time alter the effect of this rest? I havent noticed much difference both visually and texturally.

I then heat separate water and add to bring mash temp up.

I have added alpha Amylase and rested at 68° for 45 mins, it sweetens but texture remains slimeyish

i then heat to 77°, to denature, before adding spices and and boil for approx 10 mins. Which seems to make the mash slimier... does anyone have an idea about how i can reduce this slime to create a drier, sweeter oat milk?

any comments are greatly appreciated.

Ok, the alpha amylase will break down starch into long chain sugars, which may have a slimy texture still, I guess. IF that's the case, to get thinner sweeter results you'd want to break that down further with beta amylase to simple sugars. So cooling to 60C-ish and adding beta amylase will start that process. I don't know how far you'd want to go with it before heating to denature the beta amylase.

OTOH, the sliminess may be a protein effect, which is related to the beta-glucan rest. I'm not familiar with protein rests enough to offer thoughts on that, I'm afraid.

This seems like a protein effect. If it were a lot of heavy starches (like adding flour to a sauce) it would just thicken, not get a 'slimy' texture. Have you tried doing a protein rest? That might activate some of the proteinase enzymes present in the oats (if any). Maybe adding a hint of 2-row (which has those enzymes) could help.

Is this a fermented beverage or no?

Hey guys, some further updates on this topic.

I have managed to get the drier, sweeter texture and colour that I am after.
After adding Alpha Amylase, to break down the starch, I reduced temp to 60 degree and add Gluco Amylase to break down long chain to simples.

Once this is complete, I strain the oats out.

The problem now is that when it begins to cool at approx 50 degree, the 'milk' begins to separate as the sediments drop down to the bottom of the bottle.

Im not sure if this is 'curdling' like with a bechamel sauce due to acidity. The moment you shake it, these particle disappear and the mouth feel remains creamy... strange... Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    409.5 KB · Views: 226
So the presence of this sediment doesn’t affect flavor or mouthfeel? How weird....

Have you tried straining the solution (as it’s cooling or is fully cooled) thru a very fine nylon mesh bag or perhaps a fine cheese cloth? If slowly decanted from the top just until the level falls to the sediment, it’d be worth trying to separate these two layers. Put the clearer portion in one container and then strain out the sediment into another container. This should see how dense/solid the sediment is, plus if there’s any residual liquid you can collect from it.

Not an expert, but that’s my two cents. Hope it helps. :mug:

Premsoul I’m dying to know if you ever figured out your experiment??! I find myself with the same questions. Would you mind sharing what finally worked for you?

Hey guys, some further updates on this topic.

I have managed to get the drier, sweeter texture and colour that I am after.
After adding Alpha Amylase, to break down the starch, I reduced temp to 60 degree and add Gluco Amylase to break down long chain to simples.

Once this is complete, I strain the oats out.

The problem now is that when it begins to cool at approx 50 degree, the 'milk' begins to separate as the sediments drop down to the bottom of the bottle.

Im not sure if this is 'curdling' like with a bechamel sauce due to acidity. The moment you shake it, these particle disappear and the mouth feel remains creamy... strange... Any thoughts?

Im not sure if you've figured out your problem but I would suggest trying to add xanthan gum or lecithin about 0.4% of the milks volume and blend. If you don't mind sharing your recipe I'd love to have it and make oat milk.

I use sun flower oil after removing oat pulp and incorporate sunflower oil using a blender (current test ratio 5 1/2 tbsp to 8 cups of oat milk). Most companies use low erucic acid oils particularly rapeseed oil. I found a research paper that stated low erucic oils are better health wise than sun flower oil however both are better than high erucic acid oils ie. safflower oil. I am close to perfecting oil ratio.

Hi all, I am here for the same reasons as many of you I guess, wanting to figure out how to make delicious oat milk myself (and avoid the terrible packaging!). I am no chemist, nor beer brewer, but this picture (and full article at Got oatmilk? Novozymes develops toolbox to help create the perfect oat drink) seems to suggest the magical and mysterious process that makes oh so good oat milk I can't seem to reproduce. It alludes to some mysterious enzyme that I deduce is alpha and gluco amylase from various threads? I have no idea what liquidation and saccharification might look like, but it's a starting point, and if anyone has ideas, please share here! The formulation stagr definitely includes either sunflower or rapeseed oil (if you want it frothy and not seperating -I have done this "experiment" with uncooked oat milk variations), salt and calcium and minerals if you want them (B12/Riboflavin)

Attachments

• oatmilk-production-process-novozymes.jpg
    oatmilk-production-process-novozymes.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 101
[/QUOTE]
Does it need oil added at the end stage?most oat milsm have sunflower / rapeseed oil to stop seperation

I read Premsoul's recipe with Alpha Amylase and Gluco Amylase. I ordered the enzymes and will try it out like he said and blend it with sunflower oil so it doesn't seperate. I want to make an Barista like outmilk. So if any of you got any further with this I would love to see your solution!!

I read Premsoul's recipe with Alpha Amylase and Gluco Amylase. I ordered the enzymes and will try it out like he said and blend it with sunflower oil so it doesn't seperate. I want to make an Barista like outmilk. So if any of you got any further with this I would love to see your solution!!

I'm extremely interested in how this works out. I've ordered Alpha Amylase and will wait to see how your experiment works out before ordering Glucoamylase. Oatley is just too darn expensive if one can make their own reasonably acceptable version.

No one has mentioned soluble and insoluble fiber. I have used oats to make makgeolli, which leaves no dextrins behind, and it was loaded with soluble fiber. For oat milk, less oats and more lecithin could produce a pale imitation without texture problems. But massaging the fiber, fat and protein seems like a job for industrial chemistry.

No one has mentioned soluble and insoluble fiber. I have used oats to make makgeolli, which leaves no dextrins behind, and it was loaded with soluble fiber. For oat milk, less oats and more lecithin could produce a pale imitation without texture problems. But massaging the fiber, fat and protein seems like a job for industrial chemistry.

Thanks for the input KrasdaIe. I suspect that you're correct and yet that won't stop myself and others from perhaps vainly attempting against all odds if there's the slightest chance of coming to an acceptable solution.

As mentioned earlier thread by premsoul just basically use alpha amalyse to convert the starch to complex sugar and use beta/gluco almalyse to convert it to simple sugar. Each requires a certain tempature to activate hence conversion. Then using your preferred way to emulsify your oil to your liquid. I have done mechanical conversion and other methods which I am still testing. If you have done this you should look into making your own beer and making mead is less involved and quite easy.

Back