home brew in Honduras

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
Hi there.

Long story short, I have a friend who is looking to start home brewing, but she lives in Honduras... Do you guys/gals know of a home brew store down there? Or do the big on line brew stores deliver out that way?

Thanks

I can't answer your question, but I have to say my first thought is about temperature. Chilling the boiled wort and fermentation temps would be challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Agreed. Even with a swamp cooler it will be tough. But I gave her all the basic info, so I hope she can be on her way to making a larger variety of beer than is available down there. We just need to know if ingredients are available. Otherwise she will need to get creative.

I would suggest that you find some kind of cargo forwarder that will ship it in a bulk shipment.

I have a similar situation as I live in the Philippines. I have AHS ship to my Cargo Forwarder and they send to me via Sea Container. It takes me around 8-9 weeks to receive my kits. I use DME and Dry Yeast as I doubt that the liquid yeast would survive the trip. I have had issues with LME (plastic tubs seep out during the shipment via sea).

I bought a standalone freezer with a Johnson Control external thermostat for me fermentation chamber. My climate averages between 77 and 91 degrees with 60-80% humidity.

Another obstacle will be mold control. She will have to constantly keep things stored in a dry well lit area to clean very carefully.

I also use a wort chiller to cool down my wort along with adding 1L of frozen ice at the very end to get close to 80 degrees F.

Great advice. I will forward the info to her. Do you have added recommended cargo forwarder?

I would shop around. Have your friend check with local expats that are having stuff shipped in and by whom. For me, luckily there are a large number of filipinos in the US shipping stuff home and it was an easy find. For your friend she will have to research from her end.

Back