Holy Trinity of Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few recipes out there using the "Holy Trinity" of hops: Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic. What I'm looking to brew is a low alcohol WCIPA or hoppy pale ale using that hop combo, maybe including a bit of Amarillo. The grist bill is set, so what I need are some thoughts or suggestions for scheduling the hops, somewhere in the 60~70 IBU range.

Maybe Simcoe @ FWH, Citra or Amarillo @ :15, WP Mosaic + Simcoe and Citra/Amarillo. Sound about right? What about D.H.? Any and all recommendations appreciated.

You don't really get much bitterness out of FWH and if you're after west coast style hoppy beers you generally want a firm amount of bitterness. Even a lower ABV beer like an APA is going to support 30-35 IBU. I'd suggest looking at session IPA recipes for a model of what you might be after.

You don't really get much bitterness out of FWH and if you're after west coast style hoppy beers you generally want a firm amount of bitterness. Even a lower ABV beer like an APA is going to support 30-35 IBU. I'd suggest looking at session IPA recipes for a model of what you might be after.
Good point. I'm just in the habit of FWH for lagers. Simcoe for sixty minutes in the boil for bittering makes better sense. Skip the Amarillo at :15 and go with Citra, then Mosaic, Citra and a touch of Simcoe at flameout.

And yes, the target brew is a sessionable beer. Wanting to make it an IPA, but if the balance is off and I undershoot the hops I'll call it an APA 😉 .

Back