Holsten Pils recipe... what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayern1987

Reaction score
Alright fellow brewheads...

I usually brew Hefeweizens and recently have done a couple of decent German pilsners.... for a while I have been looking for a really good recipe for Holsten pils...

It is probably the only commercial lager that I truly like and drink occasionally... and my family also are quite partial to it... I came across this recipe online which is supposedly based on a book by John Lane (can't find this yet)...

What are your thoughts and do you have any alternatives?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210312-141944_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-141944_Chrome.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 33
For a German Pils the recipe is not exactly...mainstream :) . Crystal malt, brewing sugar, Goldings hops, and Wheat malt are unusual for a German Pils. The brewing sugar is not Reinheitsgebot. Recipe is kind of a hybrid German Lager-English Ale. That said, if this recipe is in fact what Holsten Pils is made of, and you enjoy it, then go for it. The grain bill %s are fine.

The recipe looks a bit off for a German Pilsner, especially with the Wheat and Crystal malt and the sugar addition.

A simple recipe for a German Pilsner could easily be made with 100% Pilsner / Lager malt, 100% Hallertau Mittelfruh or any other German hop you like, and soft-ish water. For malt complexity, you can add Vienna malt - toasty, mild biscuitty notes in the background - how much, is up to you. I for one enjoy Vienna Lagers made with 100% Vienna malt. Water treatment can also make an impact - for a slightly drier tasting, more bitter Pilsner, raise IBUs to around 30-40 and go for a sulfate leaning water. If you can ferment cool, then any decent dry/liquid Lager yeast will work fine. Just be patient and pitch right. Cheers.

That recipe will make drinkable beer but it's not a German pils as has already been explained.

My suggestions:

4.75 Kg pilsner malt
250 g light German Caramel malt 10L if desired

Use all Hallertau and save the Goldings for your next bitter. Mash 30 min @ 64C and 30 min @ 70C.

Latest posts

Back