Holiday brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
I've posted this before but now that it's getting closer to brew day I wanted to get some additional feedback. I am planning to make a gingerbread brown ale for christmas and want to add molasses to the beer, however I don't want a high abv beer and want to avoid any hot alcohol taste to it. My initial thoughts are to either add the molasses just prior to kegging the beer or adding to the secondary once i hit my final gravity then add some Potassium Sorbate, or just add it to the boil and take my chances. Was thinking of using 8 oz of dark molasses and I typically brew all grain if that makes any difference. Any feedback is more then appreciated. Thanks

Randy Mosher has a recipe for Kotbusser in "Radical Brewing" that calls for a small amount of honey and molasses, and he recommends adding it beta the end of fermentation to maximize the flavor contribution. Also, I haven't used molasses, but with honey I mix with some boiled, hot water to thin it out before adding. It's much easier to mix in that way.

Back