Holiday Ale Ingredient Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I made an oatmeal stout last winter (recipe below) which turned out fantastic. I'd like to brew it again, but give it a holiday twist. I have never brewed with strong holiday flavorings and have a few questions.

(1. Will simply racking over a spice like cinnamon or ginger or allspice impart flavor to the finished stout?

(2. Does anyone have general suggestions for spice combinations? My thinking was cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla bean.

(3. Can I simply use whole baking spices, or should I buy brewing spices sold at my local brew shop?

(3. Has anyone used spruce tips, and what kind of results have you gotten?

Oat Stout

Boil size 2 gal
Batch size 5 gal
60 min. boil

3/4# Flaked wheat
2 c. rolled oats (old fashioned oatmeal)
1# roasted barley
1# crystal 80
1# chocolate malt
6# Dark DME
1.5 oz Fuggles (1 oz at 60 mins, .5 at flameout)

1- I prefer to add at the end of boil or steep the spices separately, I don't like the raw spice flavor from adding to fermentation
2- Ginger, Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg, all good. I don't like clove myself, and think vanilla can overwhelm subtle flavors. Bourbon, aged rum, all good, have wanted to try a Grand Marnier & chocolate beer, haven't yet.
3- Any fresh spice is fine, the one at the brewshop may actually be less fresh than a store, buy whole and grind fresh if you can
4- never tried it.

One thing I've been toying the idea of is doing a Christmas ale that has Chai Latte flavors. Mostly for my SO, but chai just tastes like winter to me.

Back