Holiday 6'ers! Am I the Only One??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
Anyone else put together a Holiday 6'er for friends and family? Here are my tasting notes:

Rough Six’er Tasting Notes:

NOTE: Taste in sequence below or prepare to get your taste buds obliterated by the heavy hitters near the end of lineup. If you drink the sixer solo, grats and welcome to being drunk!

• Apfelwein (Non-Beer): Hard Apple Cider but not something to be taken lightly. This checks in at 16% ABV. Sneaky for sure and goes down smooth. Nice Apple notes both on the nose and the palette. I have yet to find someone who won’t put this one away ASAP.

• Skeeter Pee (Non-Beer): This tastes like citrus in a glass, but in reality it will kick you’re a…. This stuff is slightly over 20% ABV and you will feel it after one glass. The quintessential summer drink, but is great all year.

• House Saison (Beer): This is a wheat beer that you wouldn’t call a hefeweizen if you met in a dark alley. Slightly tart and true to the style. Just a hint of hops and spice (All Spice to be exact). This is a smooth drinker and goes great with food. If you go to Belgium, this is what you will get if you ask for a “beer”.

• Kentucky Rye (Beer): This is straight from the backwoods. Heavy on the Rye and if you like rye bread, you’ll love this beer. A solid head that will mark your sips with a clean line on the pint glass. It also is sneaky on the hops. Stronger in ABV and hops than you would guess.

• Dark & Gingery (Non-Beer): This is my take on a brewed Dark and Stormy but with a bunch of ginger ready to smack you in the face. If you’re a fan of ginger, you’ll love it. If you don’t like ginger, don’t bother!! Chill this cold and serve on the rocks with a ¼ slice lime and you have a perfect sipping drink whether by the pool or by the fire.

• CITRA Pale Ale (Beer): I am not a hop monster, but I occasionally play one on TV. Stone Arrogant Bastard, Ballast Point Sculpin, and of course Pliney the Elder. I will go out of my way to partake of these masterpieces so why wouldn’t I try? CITRA hops is known for the dry hop of Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but I enjoy the Pine and Citrus mixture. Why not go for a all CITRA Pale Ale??? This isn’t even an IPA, this is a British Pale Ale aka lower IBU (International Bitterness Units), but not to be taken lightly. This thing will clear your palette and sneak in some unexpected ABV.

I brewed three batches (american brown ale, irish red ale, american pale ale) so I could give away sixers with two of each. Gave away nearly half of what I had brewed.

I did bring 4 of my recent beers up to a buddy for a tasting, but mainly because he gives great feedback. Also gave out some 22s of a recent DIPA to some friends for X-Mas, went to the trouble of labeling them and decorative wax on the caps as well.

Back