HLT herms coil doubled as wert chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has tried this? Recirc you boil through the herms coil. Fill the hlt with cold water, recirc, drian and refill with cold water, add a bag of ice and repeat. Personally I think this would work but I am wondering what the time would be to bring the temp down.

Additionally, iwas thinking of adding a tee with an airline fitting to slowly blow out the remaining wort to lessen any losses.

Any thoughts on this? Has anybody tried it? Pros and cons?

Thanjs all!

In the past (old brew rig) I have used my Herms coil to double as a wort chiller. All I had to do was take it out of the HLT and put it in a 5gal bucket, sick a hose in it and keep the water flowing. Worked like a dream.

Right. But I wanna leave it in my hlt, run wort thru it and fill the hlt with cold or even ice water.

I do it (25 ft 1/2" stainless). Not quite as fast as my old IC (50 ft 3/8" copper) but also one less piece of equipment. I fill HLT with cold water and ice cubes. This is only 6.5 gal of wort though.

Cj. Thats awsome. How fast does it drop it down? Also, do you have to add more ice or change the water?

I've tired this with my 10 gal all electric system and the cold water heats up to quick. I would have to replace the water constantly and really didn't save me any time or give me any convince over my plate chiller.

Cj. Thats awsome. How fast does it drop it down? Also, do you have to add more ice or change the water?

Took about 5-6 minutes to go from boil to 140 if I remember right. Another 5-6 to get under 110. I think we hit 85 around 16-17 minutes total. I've changed up a lot of things with our set up and will be doing a test run this week hopefully.

Our tap water is very cold and with the ice mixed in we didn't replace the water. You may get better results doing so.

Sweet! 15 min isn't to bad. I think throwing in some more ice and or changing the water would increase the time.

Let me know how you make out!

Latest posts

Back