Hit OG and volumes on 3rd all grain batch and it feels good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
All in all, it was a great brew day! Hit my OG on the nose. I was having issues with that with the first two. My efficiency has been a steady 67% which is good enough for me. I think the mill at Northern Brewer is doing an ok job, but could be better. Temp only dropped a degree throughout the mash. My DFH is sitting in the fermenter at a comfortable 62 degrees. Only hiccup during the brew day was dumping half of my mash water on the garage floor. Do NOT try to lift 4 gallons of 172 degree water! I normally add the water with a pitcher, but I decided to ignore palmers advice. Big mistake! Cheers

Ha, I lift 4 - 5 gallons of sparge water all the time, but it's just from the stove to the mash tun, few feet away. I use pot handles and go slow and never a problem yet knock on wood. When moving my kettle outside I often have 6.5 or more gallons of hot wort. I keep the lid on the kettle and wear long ski gloves just in case. I move very very slow down the stairs one step at a time and when outside it goes on to my skateboard and rolled over to the burner lol.

Congrats on the smooth brew day! Northern's crush isn't so great so don't be surprised to start looking into a grain mill. My efficiency was wildly all over the place letting them crush it but with my mill I get a fairly consistent 81%, also good enough for me.

Rev.

Ha, I lift 4 - 5 gallons of sparge water all the time, but it's just from the stove to the mash tun, few feet away. I use pot handles and go slow and never a problem yet knock on wood. When moving my kettle outside I often have 6.5 or more gallons of hot wort. I keep the lid on the kettle and wear long ski gloves just in case. I move very very slow down the stairs one step at a time and when outside it goes on to my skateboard and rolled over to the burner lol.
Rev.

I was trying to lift my pot a good 5 feet or so. I had my cooler mash tun on a cart which makes it quite high. They biggest reason it slipped was due to the oven mitt's that I was wearing. They don't offer a lot of grip.

Congrats on the smooth brew day! Northern's crush isn't so great so don't be surprised to start looking into a grain mill. My efficiency was wildly all over the place letting them crush it but with my mill I get a fairly consistent 81%, also good enough for me. Rev.

I would buy a mill but they are quite expensive. It would take a lot of milling to save money in the long run. Maybe further on down the road I will. Maybe Christmas present?

Back