Hit me with some stout reciepes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loosely based on a recipe on from Candi Syrups recipe database. I brewed it a few times and I think I have it pretty much dialed in. Enjoy!

Spanky's Toasted Oat Stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Oatmeal Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.13 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.57%
IBU (tinseth): 36.89
SRM (morey): 36.83

FERMENTABLES:
8.1 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt (48.4%)
2.4 lb - Buckwheat Malt (14.3%)
1.4 lb - Roasted CaraMillet Malt (8.4%)
1.4 lb - Rolled Oats (8.4%)
12 oz - Belgian Candi Syrup - D-180 (4.5%)
10 oz - Chocolate Roasted Millet Malt (3.7%)
10 oz - French Roasted Millet Malt (3.7%)
10 oz - Gas Hog Rice Malt (3.7%)
13 oz - Rice Hulls (4.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 20.86
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 16.03

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Liberty Bell Ale M36

NOTES:
- Toast oats @275° for two hours.
- Oxygenate for 60 seconds.
- Pitch two packs yeast at 65° and ferment at 68° for two to three weeks.

My wife and brother in law both have Celiac's disease and are strict gluten free. My understanding is that oats have gluten in them. Is there something in the brewing process that removes the gluten from the oats?Or is it at such a low concentration that it passes as gf?My wife loves dark beer and I'd love to make a stout for her, but obviously don't want to make her sick.

My wife and brother in law both have Celiac's disease and are strict gluten free. My understanding is that oats have gluten in them. Is there something in the brewing process that removes the gluten from the oats?Or is it at such a low concentration that it passes as gf?My wife loves dark beer and I'd love to make a stout for her, but obviously don't want to make her sick.
Oats are gluten free. The issue is if they are processed in a factory that also process wheat and other grains that do contain gluten and because of this there is the chance for contamination but with the little amount you are using in a 5 gallon batch spread over 54, 12 oz bottles, that contaminants should not have an impact.

@Dgallo thanks for the clarification. She'll be stoked to try a gf stout.
Cheers!

You can buy gluten free oats that are processed in a GF free facility, if your wife & BIL have celiacs I'd recommend finding packs of GF oats, for just a few pounds in a recipe it's definitely worth the price/effort

Where are you all buying your gf ingredients and are they milled on dedicated mill to avoid cross contamination?

Where are you all buying your gf ingredients and are they milled on dedicated mill to avoid cross contamination?

I buy most of my GF malts from glutenfreehomebrewing.com, they have a solid variety of malted millet & rice, etc. You can also find things like GF flaked oats, quinoa, etc at stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. (Bob's Red Mill is one brand that tends to have a lot of good stuff in these stores)

Loosely based on a recipe on from Candi Syrups recipe database. I brewed it a few times and I think I have it pretty much dialed in. Enjoy!

STATS:

FERMENTABLES:

HOPS:

YEAST:

NOTES:

Great stuff - haven't tried any of the roasted millet malts yet, been trying to come up with a stout recipe so this will probably be my first go at it. Do you just mash at 164 or do a stepped mash?

Oats are gluten free but they are often processed on the same equipment as things that are not. If your wife and brother in law have genuine Celiac then you should absolutely look for oats that specifically say "gluten free" on them since the cross contamination can be a serious issue for some people. My allergy is pretty mild comparatively (don't mind eating fries cooked in the same oil as breaded onion rings, for example), but even then I try and minimize the cross-contamination as the issues can be cumulative.

Oats are gluten free but they are often processed on the same equipment as things that are not. If your wife and brother in law have genuine Celiac then you should absolutely look for oats that specifically say "gluten free" on them since the cross contamination can be a serious issue for some people. My allergy is pretty mild comparatively (don't mind eating fries cooked in the same oil as breaded onion rings, for example), but even then I try and minimize the cross-contamination as the issues can be cumulative.
Thanks. My wife is fairly mild reaction, but my BIL has been hospitalized in the past so cross contamination is definitely a concern.

Cheers!

On the subject of cross contamination, I assume I need different fermenters for gf. Can I use the same brew pot etc. Where is the line of contamination concern?

On the subject of cross contamination, I assume I need different fermenters for gf. Can I use the same brew pot etc. Where is the line of contamination concern?

Anything metal can be used if washed well, but anything soft (wood, plastics, silicone, etc), you'll want to have dedicated versions for gluten free. The kettle should be fine if well washed, but if it has a spigot, be careful to make sure that's cleaned out well as I've noticed stuff tends to get stuck in those.

Editing to add that glass can be washed and reused, so my recommendation regarding your question about fermenters depends on whether you use glass (clean and reuse) or plastic (I'd say do a dedicated one).

Last edited:
Looking for some good all-grain gluten-free stout recipes. Milk stout, oatmeal stout, regular stout, have at it.

Here's a stout recipe I've made a few times that I like and has gotten good reviews. I'm not sure on the source; I might have formulated it myself (read: winged it):

5 Gallon batch
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
5.25% ABV

Fermentables
8 lbs pale millet malt (69.6%)
2 lbs chocolate millet malt (17.4%)
12 oz caramillet malt (6.5%)
12 oz roasted buckwheat malt (6.5%)

Hops
Chinook hops to 35 IBU (60 minutes) - this is about 0.8oz at 12% alpha acid

Yeast
US-05

Great stuff - haven't tried any of the roasted millet malts yet, been trying to come up with a stout recipe so this will probably be my first go at it. Do you just mash at 164 or do a stepped mash?

I don't use a lot of roasted millet myself, but this mix rounds out the gas hog which can be a bit one dimensional by itself. I do a reverse step mash with enzymes: A 168° gelatinization step with Termamyl (2 tbsp) for 30 min; Then down to the sacc rest at 155° for 75 minutes with Diatase added (.25ml per pound of grain) at the last 45 minutes; Mash out at 170°.

All malts are from glutenfreehomebrewing.com except the oats which are from Bob's Red Mill and are certified gluten free.

It’s worth pointing out that while GF oats are free of gluten, oats do contain a protein called avenin which is very similar in structure to gluten, and known to cause the same reactions in many celiacs. I would check with those that you intend to brew the beer for whether or not they’re ok with it before proceeding to use them. In many other countries like Australia, no oats, regardless of dedicated processing, can be labeled GF because of the similarities in avenin.

According to the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, citing multiple studies, oats are "completely safe for the vast majority of celiac patients." Less than one percent of celiac patient show an adverse autoimmune response to avenins. So as long as your source of oats are reliable and certified, you should be ok.

STATS:

FERMENTABLES:

HOPS:

YEAST:

NOTES:

Just got done with the bottle conditioning on this recipe just in time for Christmas. It’s amazingly good, thank you so much!

Back