Hikers or tubing experts, I need some aid!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a non-brewing question about brewing equipment.

We've been backpacking more frequently and bring along our water purification pump to refill our Camelback reservoirs. The problem is our pump (MSR MiniWorks) has a nipple on the 'out' side of the pump but it is too small to mate with our bladder hoses. I want to use a barbed connector, probably 3/16" to 1/4", and a smaller hose (3/16" ID) to connect the pump to the connector, then attach the reservoir hose to the 1/4" side of the connector.

While I can get food-grade silicon tubing from the brew shop that would satisfy my needs I don't want it to be the thick-wall stuff I use on my kegerator. Lowes/ HD have thin-wall, non-food grade tubing that I think would work. Now, the meat of the question: would you consider using non-food grade line to transfer cold water? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks, Kyle

Personally I'd find some Silicone Tubing. Can't be that hard to find. It's the same stuff that came with the MSR filter (I have one of those). I bet amazon has places that will sell it by the foot.

When I filled my camelback I just stuck the piece of silicone into the fill hole at the top. Never thought about connecting it to the filter, which would probably work pretty sweet.

That said, I would have no problem using the cheap clear stuff from the hardware store. The water will not be hot and there would be only a little bit used for a very short time.

Latest posts

Back