Highest gravity partial boil without scorching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I am looking at making 5.25 gallons of a 9 or 10% scotch ale stovetop 3 gallon partial boil style. I will be adding 10 bs of dme total. I have 6 lbs of light and 4 lbs of amber. Not to mention steeping of 1.5lbs total of crystal, biscuit and smoked barley. I can adjust ibu wise for the boil graity but am just curious how high of gravity would be too much to boil at one time. My main concern would obviously be scorching after mixing in all of the dme. I can always add the 4 or 6 lbs of light dme post boil since it is less of a concern for dms. Thoughts?

LME tends to darken more than DME, but with that much DME in a partial boil, I'd probably add 3-4lbs at the start, then the rest at the end as I would think getting 10lbs of DME into 3 or so gallons of water would be a serious pain in the ass.

For late DME additions, you can dissolve them in some water in another pot, then, once it's dissolved, add it into your main boil for the last 10-15 minutes.

Back