Higher than expected OG, crazy low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just completed my 2nd all grain brew.

My first brew used Wyeast 1028, London Ale. Gravity went from 1.062 to 1.010. I thought that was a little low.

I just took a hydrometer reading of my second all grain batch, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I was worried because this one fermented a the very bottom end of the recommended temperature range for Wyeast Neo Brittania. At first the reading looked like 1.000, but after letting it settle out the gravity appears to be about 1.005/6. OG was 1.055.

What could be causing this?

I have some theories based on how my mash went both times:

On both brews, my mash temps were a little low. The recipes called for 152F on both, both times I achieved a mash temp of about 148-149.

Also, both times my sparge temp did not reach 170. My sparge temps only got to about 155-157. I've realized the mistakes I need to correct to fix those things

I've also been doing about 70-75 minute mashes.

Would too low of mash and sparge temps along with a slightly extended mash time cause greater than desired attenuation? Is hitting FG that low even possible without starters and oxygenation? (maybe I have a faulty hydrometer??) This could definitely be affecting the desired ABV and mouth-feel of my beers.

Seems pretty straightforward, just didn't think FG would get THAT low.

Thanks.

I just had an APA that finished at 1.007. OG was 1.050. I mashed at 151. I think your results are normal.

Back