High Pressure Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I am planning to use WL High Pressure Lager Yeast soon and trying to time my brewing for a party in October accordingly. My main question is knowing that this beer will finish out and be ready much earlier than a traditional lager, is there any harm in letting it sit and condition at 38 F for two months? I would think it would be only beneficial but wasn't sure since it won't technically "need" that time with this yeast as opposed to a traditional lager yeast.

The idea with pressure fermentation is that you can ferment and condition a "lager" at much higher temperatures and in a much shorter time than with conventional lager production techniques. If you're not in a hurry I'd say the only reason that would justify going that route is that you're either not set up for cold fermentation/maturation or are into the novelty value of pressure fermentation.

As to your main question the answer is no, it won't do any harm, it will just take longer to condition/mature just like with traditional lagering. The yeast won't mind at all as it is still a bottom-fermenting yeast, it's just a strain that was selected because if properly managed (temperature- and pressure-wise) it will give a clean lager character at higher temperatures and with shorter production times, which will still not prevent it from doing so even at lower temperatures with longer maturation times.

Thanks! I primarily ferment under pressure in cornys or converted sanke kegs and currently do not have a temperature controlled fridge to ferment at lower temps (yet!). So just to clarify I would ferment under pressure in the high 60s until completion then transfer to secondary to condition for 2 months. Does that sound about about right?

Ideally you would still want to pitch somewhat colder and then let rise but I don't know if your setup allows you to do that.

I do warm pressure fermentation of lagers using WLP833. There is no need for a "special" strain; in fact, Chris White did all of his own pressure experiments using 833, and various German breweries use ordinary yeasts.

The advantages are numerous IME (I'm a convert though I have temperature control and did cold lagers for a couple of decades,) one of which is being able to pitch at higher temperatures (well into the 60s,) which allows me to get yeast pitched within 30-40 min. of flameout, which is important to me since I brew low oxygen. So no problem I can see with pitching at whatever temperature your chiller can achieve. I still crash at day 7 (FG is reached at 2-3 days, then I allow for conditioning,) transfer to keg and lager at 32F for around 4 weeks to clarify and stabilize, so I see no great issue there.

I do warm pressure fermentation of lagers using WLP833. There is no need for a "special" strain; in fact, Chris White did all of his own pressure experiments using 833, and various German breweries use ordinary yeasts

How "warm" are you getting when using that yeast under pressure? I am able to stay in the 65-67 F range currently using the one room in the house that gets over air conditioned. I'd love to use an actual lager yeast if I can get away with it.

Never heard of that yeast, thanks for posting. If you have a room that will stay below 67F you can ferment at about 57F using a simple cardboard box lined with 1 " insulation, adding 1L and/or 2L frozen water bottles. Change the water bottles out every 12-24 hours as needed. I fermented lagers like this for several years before finally getting a chest freezer. Getting the box 10F below ambient was pretty easy, you might be able to go lower depending on how much ice and how much insulation you use.

How "warm" are you getting when using that yeast under pressure? I am able to stay in the 65-67 F range currently using the one room in the house that gets over air conditioned. I'd love to use an actual lager yeast if I can get away with it.

Right in your range, 65-70F, at 15 psig.

Latest posts

Back