High Efficiency and crystal clear Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
5.5 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat malt
4 lbs German Pilsner malt
1 oz Tettnang (60 min)

Started my mash in my Keggle tun with homeade false bottom made from keg top batch sparged and got a stuck sparge (very stuck) so me and my brew partner poured the contents of the keggle into my old 10 gal brew pot with BIAB and strained the bag and transfered into brew keggle with the first runnings. target gravity was 1.049 and I go 7 gal preboil 1.055 and after the boil ended up with 1.061 5.5 gal! fermented 2 weeks and bottled after 3 days same Gravity 1.006. I tried one last night after 2.5 weeks in bottle been in fridge 4 days and it was crystal clear not cloudy like other hefes I have had and made in the past anyone got any ideas what I did to do that?

What was your mashing temp? A very low mashing temp will give you a very fermentable wort and also some proteolosys which will break down proteins and give you clear beer, also do you use irish mosh or some other finning in the boil? what yeast did you use. GIve us some more details of your proccess it can be many things.

Did you swirl the last ounce or two of beer to rouse the yeast/slurry from the bottom of the bottle? Hefe's are supposed to be yeasty.

I had something come up during the 30 minute protein rest I usually use for a batch of hef and it ended up about an hour long...very clear, best batch yet. Going to try and duplicate it soon.

Back