High Abv APA of IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewvac

Reaction score
I over shot my gravity this weekend while brewing up a Pale Ale recipe that I usually keep around as a easy drinker. When I do it right it maxes out at 5%. It's looking like it will finish out around 6.5%.

So I'm looking for some help deciding whether or not to dry hop and make it an IPA or just go with it as is for a strong APA. Speak to me brewers.

Thanks for the quick replies. That will be way enough.

The wort was made with a mix of Cascade and Pacific Jem. Thoughts on drop hop options? I was thinking of going all Cascade, but I'm open to suggestion.

If the hopping stayed the same and it was higher gravity, you're probably not going to have enough bitterness for a proper IPA (you could go the hop tea route though), but dry hopping definitely sounds like a good plan regardless. Never used Pacific Gem so can't speak to it, but can't go wrong with Cascade. Cascade and Citra would be good, or Amarillo, or Centennial.

Thanks for the input from everybody. The fermentation is staring to slow down and I'll be taking a trip to the LHBS this weekend to pick up some Cascades and maybe some Citra for dry hopping.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back