Hi HBT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerrun02

Reaction score
Hi all!
First batch of home brew I made earlier this year, I googled something and up HBT popped with so many knowledgable people/posts...glad to be a part of it now!

I'm currently on my second batch ever, trying a Belgian Ale, and I just added orange zest and vanilla in my secondary. I should be bottling that tomorrow and getting started on an IPA next! I'm so excited and hooked on home brews already, doing tons of reading and learning. I'm hoping to meet some local home brewers in Phoenix for inspiration and tastings. I'm sure I'll be posting questions as I get more involved and thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers!:mug:

Welcome to HBT! A Belgian with vanilla sounds interesting, did you add vanilla beans or ? What was the base style you started with? I'm interested in hearing how that turned out.

I started with a True Brew Belgian Ale kit, since I'm still so new but I thought I'd experiment with a flavor so yeah, I added vanilla beans and orange zest soaked in a little vodka. I just bottled it last night, the FG was good to go... I smelled the vodka concoction in the brew, but my friend said it just smelled like beer. So I guess we'll have to see in a week or so if the flavors really did something to it. I was really hoping for an orange creamsicle kind of taste, so if it doesn't turn out, I guess I'll just have to try again!

Welcome! That's not the flavor combination I would have went for, but everyone has different tastes. Certainly try again if your not satisfied. It can take a little trial and error to get the amounts of the flavors balanced to your tastes.

Also, watch the temperatures in AZ. I know it can get plenty warm over there, and most ale yeast prefer the mid 60s to low 70s or they start giving off unwanted flavors. A Belgian is probably one of the better choices for higher temps, though.

Let us know how this turns out!

...I was really hoping for an orange creamsicle kind of taste...

I just tried an Orange Creamsicle beer at Defiant Brewing in Pearl River, NY on Friday. It was interesting to try, couldn't really drink more than one per sitting though.

Welcome and good luck to you!

Also, watch the temperatures in AZ. I know it can get plenty warm over there, and most ale yeast prefer the mid 60s to low 70s or they start giving off unwanted flavors. A Belgian is probably one of the better choices for higher temps, though.

That was exactly my thought process with this batch... I still didn't do much but keep the temperature in my apartment cool. But after reading some stuff on yeast and exothermic activity in the fermenters, I'm definitely investing in a bucket and some ice for the next brew!

I just tried an Orange Creamsicle beer at Defiant Brewing in Pearl River, NY on Friday. It was interesting to try, couldn't really drink more than one per sitting though.

Hahaha...do you know what the base beer was for that one? There is a local brewery that makes a great orange vanilla wheat. I'm definitely hormonal or something right now because I've been craving sweet beers compared to my normal IPA taste. Maybe a little white chocolate in the next atttempt will sweeten up the flavor and help with creamsicle part?? I love the fact that experimenting with homebrews just means more beers to drink along the way :)

Latest posts

Back