HI from NC mountains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWood

Reaction score
Hi there. I've been brewing since the late 1990s with several hundred brews under my belt using a simple all-grain system. Always trying to learn more and make better beer. Amazing how much things have changed in the brewing world. Thanks for all the great information

Hello in NC. I live near the coast in SC and go to Asheville NC a couple of times a year just to tour around the various breweries and enjoy the beer scene there. Welcome, and with the experience level you bring to the table, hopefully you'll join in and make regular posts.

Thanks. Love coastal sc. Ashevegas is right down the rd. Lots of beer. I love riverbend malts out of asheville. White labs recently opened there as well.

Good to see another Tarheel. I'm in suburban Charlotte and brew apple cider.

Welcome to the forum, from Nebraska! I was just in your neck of the woods when I hiked the Appalachian Trail! Such a beautiful area! A friend of my brothers own Burial Brewing in Asheville so when we were in town he gave us an awesome tour and showed us around, absolutely love that town..

Morrey, I was just there to buy yeast and pre-purchased cider for the Cider Day picnic. Should be a good time. Jesse says there will be food for sale (BBQ pork and chicken) with proceeds going to recent hurricane victims. I plan on entering a bottle of my Apfelwein in the tasting. Maybe I'll see you there.

I was up your way last week. Spent one night in Jefferson and a night near Wilkesboro in Oak Ridge. Bought a variety pack of AMB which included a porter, a blonde, a spoaty otay, and a beer yet to discover (gotta finish unloading the cooler). Also was given an AMB kolsch. Nice beer ! Welcome.

Thanks everyone. Alternative beverage! That has been my go-to store since I started brewing in college in the mid to late 1990s. Jess has been around forever. I still make the trek every other month or so to load up. We recently had a new store open locally that sells Riverbend and Epiphany malts (both local NC maltsters) so I've been using both shops, but AB will always have a special place in my brewing heart. Fresh apple cider? Nice!

Burial is a wonderful brewery. I recently noticed they started distributing their beer in cans; good for them. I've done chunks of the AT so I can appreciate thru-hikers. I bet it was amazing.

This seems like a good crowd!!

I just took a canoe trip on the Nolichucky River with a good bud from Jefferson while drinking AMB (along with my last Heady Toppers). Small world. Never had the Kolsch but will definitely track one down. I went to ASU and love Boone town. Took me 12 years to leave after college!

Harnett county? I have good memories floating and snorkeling the Little River and Contentnea Creek. Too hot for me these days, but I love that area of NC. Good place for crisp pilsners!

I've done chunks of the AT so I can appreciate thru-hikers. I bet it was amazing.

Overall, it was amazing. I made a lot of strong friendships, met genuinely nice people and made memories to last a life time! As soon as I got home I had a pretty serious (yet temporary) hatred for trees, dirt, rocks and all things outdoors lol. I refused to walk anywhere that wasn't paved for about a month! Now I miss it. My 60-something mom wants to do it (not joking even a little bit) so I will likely do it again soon, but my sights are set on the Pacific Crest Trail at the moment (Mexico border to Canada border on the west coast). I'm glad you get out and do sections of it though! Weekend warriors were our source of whiskey, extra food and rides 80% of the time lol :mug:

Morrey, I was just there to buy yeast and pre-purchased cider for the Cider Day picnic. Should be a good time. Jesse says there will be food for sale (BBQ pork and chicken) with proceeds going to recent hurricane victims. I plan on entering a bottle of my Apfelwein in the tasting. Maybe I'll see you there.

Takes me back to the late 80's when Jess sold extract kits with pre-hopped liquid malts and a pack of dry yeast taped to the top of the can. This made pretty bad beer...LOL. But my how things have improved since those days. Jess has been in the business for over 40 years now.

I got my cider yeast already and ready to pick up the juice on 11/4. I am going to try something (new to me) and dry hop the cider this year. My local taproom makes a dry hopped cider and it is very tasty.

Looking forward to tasting your Apfelwein!

See you there!

Latest posts

Back