Hi ABV Stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
My latest beer is an imperial stout with a measured OG of 1.092, which is exactly where BeerSmith said it should be. The yeast is the erstwhile WLP001. After 4 weeks in the primary I racked into a keg with some bourbon oak chips to let the beer age for however long. Before sealing the keg I took a gravity reading that read 1.022. BeerSmith estimates that my FG should be 1.013. Have I made a mistake at some point? Fermentation temp was 68 degrees, and it was typical. At the time of racking there was just an occasional air bubble surfacing, and I figured it was safe to go to the next step. Did I rack into the keg too soon for a beer this big? Can I expect the beer to finish out in the keg? I purged the headspace of 02, but I'm not carbing it, only aging it at fermentation the temperature. Thank you all!!!

Was this extract or all grain?
With all grain the Mash Temp entered will change the FG in BeerSmith.
That is what Light Body, Med Body and Full Body mean in the Mash tab.

BTW- I see nothing wrong with 1.022 FG in such a big beer!

Mash temp was 152 degrees for my all grain grist. As for the FG, I was going by what the software said it should be. Interesting, thanks.

Back