HF Everett clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock430

Reaction score
First off, I'll start with the fact that I've never tried this beer, or any HF beer for that matter. My interest was piqued mainly by the high FG and I wanted to experiment to see what the would be like in a beer of this type. Here's the recipe:

OG: 1.086
FG: 1.026

17.5# Optic (78%)
1.5# Crystal 90 (7%)
1.0# Carapils (4%)
2.0# Chocolate (9%)
0.5# Roasted (2%)

155*F mash temp

60 ibus total, 1 oz columbus @ 15'

Added some chalk and CaCl to the boil to bring water more in-line with a dark beer.

Fermented @ 66*F with ECY 18, any other low attenuating yeast will do.

Overall this is a really good beer, thick but not cloying, nice and creamy. Bitterness is a bit high though, I think the roastiness provides at least 10 ibus of perceived bitterness, so I'd scale down next time.

I LOVED the Columbus addition @ 15', adds a real nice flavor profile, similar to Evil Twin Yin RIS.

What I may change, other than the bitterness, is the yeast. May mash higher and ferment real cool with Scottish yeast, as the reviews suggest a slight smokiness. I may also add some brown malt to this next go around.

Does it taste like HF Everett? I have no idea, but it is a damn good beer!

Didn't realize this, just based it on what malts they had listed on their website, abv and sg info, and beer reviews

Amount Use PPG Color
Pale 2-Row (US) 28.0 lb 73% Mash 37 1 °L
Roasted Barley (US) 2.5 lb 6% Mash 33 300 °L
CaraMalt 2.5 lb 6% Mash 34 37 °L
Chocolate (US) 2.0 lb 5% Mash 29 350 °L
Dextrine Malt (UK) 2.0 lb 5% Mash 33 1 °L
Crystal 90L (UK) 1.0 lb 2% Mash 33 90 °L
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Columbus (US) 2.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 15.0%

This is a 11 Gallon Recipe that I plan to make, I don't know how the numbers equal out to a 5 gallon run. I know caramalt was what was on the recipe, which I have never heard of or seen, but I know it is a higher lovibond than carapils.

They typically state malts in order from higher to lower, aand roasted comes in last on their website, so I assumed it was less than the amount of chocolate. From the reviews, it seems like there is definitely a flavor add from the columbus. I really enjoyed the ounce of columbus @ 15.

I used UK roasted at a much lower rate, but the lovibond is almost twice the US stuff.

Latest posts

Back