Hey Keggers! whats your method to force carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEarley

Reaction score
there's a lot of videos on youtube about force carbonating. about PSI, use the dip tube or not, rolling for absorption. amount of time it takes to get a good bubble. i've tried them all and get a nice carbonation after about a day.

whats your methods? i wanna tweet mine.

I'm a set and forget kind of guy. Just plug my keg in at my serving pressure and don't start pouring any of it for a week or two.

Once or twice I've done the set the pressure high and roll it when I needed something on a short schedule, but that's pretty rare.

Hit room temp keg with 30 psi. Shake for about 5 min., then let it sit for 3-7 days. I tried applying gas through the out and fond it made no difference.

Chill, shoot 54psi in and unhook the gas.
48 hours later hook up to 12 psi. Good then, great after a day or so.

I hook up a .5 micron carb stone to the in port when I'm kegging. Then I chill for 24 hours. After that I crank it up 24-30 psi depending in the beer. I rock it back and forth and let it sit for a few hours. I rock it a couple more times over the course of a day, and it's usually ready inside of a day for serving. I turn the pressure down for serving and enjoy.

Cold crash for 2 days. Set pressure to 30 psi, then shake for 5 minutes. Leave at 30 overnight, then set pressure to 10 psi. Purge slightly then enjoy a nice carbonated beer!

Set it at serving PSI and walk away for 1 - 2 weeks. Never have any problems with over carbonation or excessive foaming. The extra couples weeks sitting at serving temperature also does a nice job in clearing out the beer.

Chill fermentor, keg, crank to 30 psi and rock he keg on it's side for 5 minutes. Place in kegerator for 1 hour or more to let it settle a bit. Turn off the co2. Very very slowly bleed off all of he head pressure. Gas up to serving pressure and go. I did this yesterday and it worked quite well.

I use the 2-3 week 'set and forget' method (slow force carbonation). I simply put the keg into the brew fridge, let it chill down to serving temp (about 24 hours) then connect it to a CO2 feed and leave it alone. I put the info on the white board on the fridge so that I know when I did that. By the time another keg kicks, the fresh keg is carbonated. Three taps, but spots for four kegs, helps with this. :rockin:

What I like about the set and forget, or crank it and unhook, is that if your mom dies, or you are in a car wreck, or you just get drunk and forget, your beer doesn't get overcarbed.

Chill, hook gas to the out post. Crank up to 25 psi and shake for a couple minutes. Then turn down to 15 psi and shake until no more co2 being dissolved. Unhook and its almost ready. Hook up to serving pressure and drink. its best after one day.

I crash cool one day before kegging at 35°. Keg the next day with a little gelatin. I set the PSI to about 12, while the keg is still cold, and roll it around for 15 - 20 minutes, or as long as it takes to no longer hear gas bubbling through the keg. Hook it up and enjoy a celebratory draught. It will usually take a couple days or so for the gelatin to drop the suspended matter, but then the beer is crystal clear.

I really think a lot of brewers put unnecessary time in here. Messing around with in through the out tube, carb stones in your keg, special keg lids...ugh.

I turn it up to 30 psi for 36-48 hours, purge the keg, and serve. I'm usually carbing just above freezing, which helps. If I'm feeling patient, ,which isn't often, I just put it under 12psi and forget about it for a week.

Set and forget.

I've tried the crank and shake and the beer turned out pretty bad.

Latest posts

Back