Hey, Canadian people - suggestions for beers to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm headed to Chapleau, Ontario for a fishing trip next week and was wondering if you all might have some suggestions for some good beers for me to try while I am there.

I have no idea if I'll be able to find them at any stores in the area, but I'd at least like to have a list with me just in case I can find something.

there are quite a few well-known micros in Quebec - Unibroue, if you like belgian-style ales, Dieu du Ciel makes some good beers, and McAuslan makes an excellent oatmeal stout called St. Ambroise.

Those ones should be available, and there are lots of other microbreweries across the country - but, it's a big country, and I'm not really sure what other regional beers will be available out East

The beer in Ontario sucks....I suggest you bring across the border as much as allowed by law.

Else, Sleeman's Brown & Alexander Keith's IPA might tide you over.

It will be WICKED expensive!

there are quite a few well-known micros in Quebec - Unibroue, if you like belgian-style ales
Nope. :D
, Dieu du Ciel makes some good beers, and McAuslan makes an excellent oatmeal stout called St. Ambroise.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I suggest you bring across the border as much as allowed by law.
I've got sixers of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and Lonerider's Peacemaker, and a mixed sixer of other stuff to take with me. It's not a TON of beer, but it'll be safe and just for me because the other guys drink Coors Light and won't want anything to do with good beer.

I'm just looking for some names to keep an eye out for while I'm there to sample and bring back down here for you and I to drink on Saturdays.

Else, Sleeman's Brown & Alexander Keith's IPA might tide you over.
I'll add them to the list.

Having an email conversation with my Dad about the trip and he told me he was going to charge me tax on any strong or dark crap beer I brought with me.

I told him that if you mixed one ounce of my beer with 11 ounces of lake water, it would be fairly similar to a coors light.

Seeing the responses here... I HAVE to chime in.

DON'T buy any of the Keith's, Moosehead, Labatt, Molson, Ricard's stuff that you will see. It's all the equivalent of any BMC in the US and is just not worth the effort.

Also, Ontario beer from craft brewers does not suck. It may not be at the same level as some of the renowned US craft breweries but they are producing some excellent products.

If your trip takes you through Southern Ontario there are may excellent breweries to stop at on the way that will have great beer for sale.

Let us know a bit more about your route and we can point you in the right direction.

If you find a decent LCBO they will have a reasonable selection but still mostly BMC equivalents. The Beer Store is more than useless despite their name. They are owned by the big boys in Ontario so stock mostly their stuff. Pfffffffffttttttttttt....

Let us know more.

I was already on the road north when this last post came in, so I didn't see it. I don't think it would have mattered though. We never really even came close to anything I would call a city once we crossed over to Canada in Sault Ste. Marie.

We followed highway 17 north along Lake Superior to Wawa (population of about 3,200) and then headed east on highway 101. Wawa was the only town we went through other than Sault Ste. Marie.

We spent the night on the US side in Sault Ste. Marie, and I bought some beers from Arcadia brewing company to compliment the stash I already had with me.

not even going to pretend I know much about Canada, or where you're at for that matter, but Brasserie Dieu du Ciel makes some very tasty brews I can get here in OH and seen alot of them in Chicago too. Have had about 5 of their brews and have been pleasantly happy

If you by the "beer store" try Tankhouse Ale and Mcauslan Stout. Both are quite good. I too do not recommend trying any molson or labbatt product. Both are quite bland.

Canada's own Great Lakes (not the Ohio one) makes some good beers, such as Route 666.

Latest posts

Back