Hesitant to use bleach..BUT..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh0001

Reaction score
I you have an infected batch in my fermenter. I had soaked it in Sani Clean before hand. Should I run some diluted to bleach to make extra sure the bug is outta there before I use the fermenter again again tomorrow?

Its a Fermenting (food grade) bucket.

If you've got the time, go pick up some Oxiclean Free. Soak everything for as long as possible, THEN sanitize as usual.

It'll take care of the extra junk and be a little less harsh with your equipment. You also won't risk tainting the next brew with a bleach smell/flavor (regardless of dilution, it's still got a chance to hang around if you're going to use it tomorrow).

Chlorine bleach is fine if you rinse afterwards with boiling water. If you're still concerned you can then use sodium metabisulphite to drive away any remaining chorine.

It is a very effective sanitiser - as long as your fermenter is not scratched inside the bleach will kill it but make sure you rinse properly with the boiling water.

i wouldnt suggest using boiling water in your bucket just because of melting (hot works). If your worried about infection, mix bleach with water per specs on the bottle and soak it overnight and then rinse really well. Then sanitize as usual and you should be good. Oxyclean works well for removing gunk but it is only a CLEANER not a sanitizer. Stick with bleach

I've used bleach for years and it works gangbusters. I just blast everything with hot water afterwards and everything comes out nice and sanitized. No bleach or "band-aid" tastes whatsoever.

Bleach has been working just fine for me. 1/8 cup per 5 gallons. Then I rinse with hot (not boiling) water.

i wouldnt suggest using boiling water in your bucket just because of melting (hot works). If your worried about infection, mix bleach with water per specs on the bottle and soak it overnight and then rinse really well. Then sanitize as usual and you should be good. Oxyclean works well for removing gunk but it is only a CLEANER not a sanitizer. Stick with bleach

Don't know what your buckets are made of. Mine cope fine.

Bleach properly diluted is fine. I too have used it for years with no problem. If all the posts on forums that say bleach can harm your beer scare you that much, sanitize with bleach over night (or an hour or so) then clean and sanitize with whatever you normally use.

THanks for all the replies guys! Brewing up a Patersbier today!

CHeers

I find StarSan to be much more user friendly than bleach. You don't have to worry about rinsing it for one thing.
Of course, it's more expensive; but it's worth it in my opinion.

Back