Herms Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastChair

Reaction score
I am considering switching from cooler to kettle/herms. From what I have read wort is recirculated from the mash tun through a heat source via a coil and returned. I am considering leaving the wort in the mash tun and recirculating heated water through a coil placed in the mash tun instead. Interested in thoughts from herms experienced brewers.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a mess to clean up! The coil in the hot liquor tank is just surrounded by water, no sweet sugars to invite bugs in between the coils.

Here are some pictures of my HLT with HERMS coil

Attachments

• IMG_20151003_122246.jpg
    IMG_20151003_122246.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20151003_181740.jpg
    IMG_20151003_181740.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 21
You may want to look into using a small eHERMS, that would be my preferred way. Wort goes through a short wort coil (say 6') inside a relatively small, 1 gallon pot that's filled with water. That water in turn is heated by a simple 4500W electric water heater coil element. It's very fast and very responsive.

You do need to recirculate your wort from your mash tun, and integrate some temp sensor/feedback control to turn on the heater when there's demand. Often a PID is used there, but there are alternative ways.

Last edited:
Back