HERMS in a cooler MLT with brew bag: how to keep bag from plugging bulkhead fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowingApple

Reaction score
I have a cooler that I've installed a bulkhead fitting/valve. I'm using my biab brew bag as the filter. For my last brew I tried to recirculate the mash through a coil in my HLT. It would work as long as I held the brew bag away from the cooler outlet (the inside flat of the bulkhead fitting). If I let go the bag would get sucked against the outlet and the flow would slow to a trickle.

I tried placing a trivet (something like this) at an angle between the bag and the outlet. The trivet I have is decently sturdy, but the weight of the grain and/or the pressure of the liquid flow caused the trivet to bend and slip out of the way.

I recently bought a bazooka screen to use in my brew kettle. I'm wondering if I can use it in the mash cooler to keep the bag away from the outlet, or if the weight/pressure is going to be enough to pinch it flat.

It's not real expensive to replace, but I'm not sure how to remove it if that happens during mashing and kills the recirculation. Has anyone tried something like this?

Back