HERMS Direction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I've noticed that everyone is entering the HEX at the bottom. Is there a reason for this? I thought of plumbing to the top of the coil and exiting out the bottom. And then let gravity empty the coil when complete, by cracking my tri-clamp to give it air.

This may be a dumb question, but I've noticed that everyone is entering the HEX at the bottom. Is there a reason for this? I thought of plumbing to the top of the coil and exiting out the bottom. And then let gravity empty the coil when complete, by cracking my tri-clamp to give it air.

I don't think it matters but I have not given it alot of thought. You are going to need to pump either way so off the top of my head I can't think of an advantage either way.

One idea would be to push the air in the system out from the bottom up.

Mine went IN at the top and OUT at the top... so there! Now you are really messed up arent ya?:p

I believe In-Top Out-Bottom would be optimal due to the fact that once the coil is filled, the volume of the coil draining out would pull a siphon on the pump side decreasing the load on the pump. If you go in the bottom, the pump must push the entire volume of the coil against gravity.

Back