Herms coil advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if you want it compressed, bind it to the height you want with stainless wire.

I don't know the alloy on what you linked to, or if it even matters of the alloy.

The wire I've used before to bind a chiller was a 304 alloy, or the wire we use in my job known as "safety wire", but it should make no difference.

It's a 304 alloy that is "soft tempered" whatever that means. I'm nervous it won't be strong enough.
Did you wrap around each tube, twist it tight and repeat?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep, started on my starting point with two wraps around the first tube, two twists between each tube, pushing the next tube down against the previous twists, two more twists, etc......

"Soft tempered", means its quite malleable, or "soft".

Be careful, it will still poke a hole in your skin, or an eye!

What is the diameter of it, if listed?

.025-.032 ?

I ask because you can break the .025 kind of easy, if you get to tugging on it with pliers.

The pliers will put little nicks in the wire, and it may break when you make a "twist".

This, just from experience doing "safety wiring" on aircraft for the last 30 + years!

Have fun!:D

Thanks! Diameter: 0.043 - is that too thick or thin? I found safety wire that's prime eligible (get it by Friday night) but it's wayyyy more expensive. Will this work for me? Thanks again!

I hope if it's "soft" it will still have a decent tensile strength.

The .043 will work, but not as easy to manipulate as .032.
Practice first, you'll get the hang of it, and worry not about the tensile strength of it!

Take a piece of it and bend it back and forth till it breaks to get an idea of it's strength.

Back