Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasuede

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast on my pumpkin ale 4 days ago. The original gravity was 1.040. Fermentation started and bubbled away nicely. The bubbling has stopped my gravity is 1.005. Is it ready for bottling? When I took the gravity, there as alot of sediment in the sample. Does that affect the gravity? Thank you.

Let your beer stay in your primary fermenter for at least two weeks. That will let the yeast clean the byproducts of fermentation. It will also allow the beer to clear as the sediment drops.

Once the two weeks have gone by and if you are in a hurry. Check your FG and if it is stable for three days straight you are ready to bottle.

I tend to let my beers stay in the fermenter for around 3 to 4 weeks and have had great success.

Hope this helps.

Sediment won't affect the gravity. I bottle once stable gravity is achieved and beer is clear.

There is no need to do an extended primary. Wait a couple days, take another hydro reading to ensure no additional attenuation, and then bottle whenever you want to after that.
I typically bottle at 10-14 days in primary and have had no issues. I always take serial hydrometer readings to ensure FG has been reached.

Rupert is closer to right, if it's done which is most surely is, it's done. Don't let it sit on the yeast, that's dumb. Either package it or if you feel compelled to rack it do so, but you'll oxidize and lose freshness. It's fresh, it can mature in the package. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back