Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughandReadyRanch

Reaction score
So here is the problem. I have 1 keg full and 3 just begging to be filled. I am doing a Belgian Abbey style this Wednesday and it is going to leave me with some bulk items that I must brew with now! Wife is pregnant and I will be home from summer school for the next month so I need to fill those kegs before Jr. gets here and school starts up again in a month. Think of it as "Chopped" but with beer..... "Hopped"! You basket contains........

1.5oz Hallertau Mitz.
3.0oz Saaz
25lbs Pilsner LME (yes 25lbs... 33lbs at farmhouse is a steal even with shipping!)
Left over bitter Orange Peel ~0.5oz

So the challenge is to use any or all ingredients to make a quick and easy quality craft beer that will be drinkable by the last weekend in September. I have and 8 gallon pot and wort chiller so full boil is going to happen and everything is climate controlled since I just got my keezer/fermentation box. Use what ever grain additions you need as I can buy anything at the LHBS this Tuesday before my last final. Think of it as a beer for a guy who has way to much on his plate right now and can't think of anything and really shouldn't be wasting valuable study/term paper writing time to search for the perfect brew. It could be you good deed for August. Thanks in advance. ~Dan

Your problem is the over abundance of LME - that's where your expiration date comes in.

You have enough hops for a light lager, but enough extract for two good IPA's after that. I'm talking 8-9 pounds of extract per batch of IPA. So if you go the IPA or other variety route you will also need more hops and/ or specialty grains. I say you are looking at 3 batches minimum.

That's the crux of the biscuit....

5 lb Pils LME
3 lb Wheat DME

2.0oz Saaz @60
1.5oz Hallertau @15
0.5oz Bitter Orange Peel @15
1.0oz Saaz @0

Any Wheat Yeast...

Quick and dirty hoppy wheat.

Your problem is the over abundance of LME - that's where your expiration date comes in.

You have enough hops for a light lager, but enough extract for two good IPA's after that. I'm talking 8-9 pounds of extract per batch of IPA. So if you go the IPA or other variety route you will also need more hops and/ or specialty grains. I say you are looking at 3 batches minimum.

That's the crux of the biscuit....

Just want one recipe. The LME is in a growler and I am going to charge it with CO2 to prevent any surface mold once I use a bit of it. I just want to get rid of the things I have on hand. I got the LME knowing I had more batches to do down the road but given the fact that my brewing will greatly decrease in October (Due Date) and school starts back up that then too. I need to get a quick filler out and would like to see the hops I have get used. The Belgian is going to be a 3 month sit and wait and likely and 8 month total age. Calling it my graduation beer.. No more college!!!!!!!!!!

5 lb Pils LME
3 lb Wheat DME

2.0oz Saaz @60
1.5oz Hallertau @15
0.5oz Bitter Orange Peel @15
1.0oz Saaz @0

Any Wheat Yeast...

Quick and dirty hoppy wheat.

Awesome. I think that my just have to happen. Just need to grab some wheat DME on Tuesday. Thanks.

Back