Help with Yeast choice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzco_Brew

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brewing a smoked ale and I need a bit of help on picking a yeast.

My Grain bill is as follows:
2kg Pilsen
0.75kg Munich
1kg Smoked Malt
0.05kg Black Malt
0.10kg Cyrstal 120L

This is for a 15L batch. I am pretty set on that grain bill and will be using Saaz hops for about 27 IBUs.

Yeast options I have the following in stock:

Safbrew T-58
Safale US-05
Danstar Nottingham
Safbrew WB-06
Safale S-04

These are the only options, I can't run down to the LHBS for a different yeast as there isn't one where I live.

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Cheers
Zac

I vote s-04. More malty = more better. The t-58 might make something very interesting though. Belgiany smoked pilsnery malt bomb?

I vote S-05... I would want a very clean fermentation... nothing to mask the grain bill especially the smoke malt. What temp are you fermenting at?

My vote would be for –05 but I’m not sure if it will work in the metric system…

I would go about 293.15* Kalvin or 16*Reaumur to get full attenuation.

I think you meant "Kelvin", not "Kalvin"... "Kalvin" is the Komic with the Stuffed "Tigger".

The Kelvin scale is named after Kelvin (Also Known As "Lord" to his friends), the pioneering Thermodynamicist.

And, why, yes, I do have a graduate degree in thermodynamics/physics.

I think you meant "Kelvin", not "Kalvin"... "Kalvin" is the Komic with the Stuffed "Tigger".

The Kelvin scale is named after Kelvin (Also Known As "Lord" to his friends), the pioneering Thermodynamicist.

And, why, yes, I do have a graduate degree in thermodynamics/physics.

Simple mistake like when I call someone on homebrewtalk a ***** bag instead of ****** bag…

Although I am almost always against calling other people names on HBT, this was deserved IMO and funny, LOL funny.

Please don’t think I was calling anyone names…I was only using the word ****** as an example of how someone could mess up the spelling.

Latest posts

Back