help with winsdor yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milll36

Reaction score
Hi i brew on monday, and pitched a pack of winsdor yeast on a 3 gallon batch. OG was 1.052. Measure it yesterday and it was at 1.026 and today after 24 hours it saids 1.024. Have read everywhere that apparently this yeast have always this problem. Any suggestion on what to do..? Its a English Brown Ale.
Tks
daniel

What temp are you fermenting at? Maybe try swirling gently to rouse the yeast and if your temps are in the lower end, you could raise them a bit.

Hi i brew on monday, and pitched a pack of winsdor yeast on a 3 gallon batch. OG was 1.052. Measure it yesterday and it was at 1.026 and today after 24 hours it saids 1.024. Have read everywhere that apparently this yeast have always this problem. Any suggestion on what to do..? Its a English Brown Ale.
Tks
daniel
It dropped 0.002 in 24 hours after 4 days, and this is a problem? On these less attenuating English yeasts, I typically go 3-4 days cooler, then ramp up the temp to the higher end for the strain and let it finish. So it might take 2 weeks to attenuate. Give it warmer temps and more time - that's my 2 cents.

already doing that since yesterday..! ill take it to 70 to see how it behave.. can't see lots of activity in my airlock.

i like checking the gravity after the fourth day..! thats all really no rush.. but used this yeast before and couldn't get a batch to the desired FG..! that why im asking..!

Check your numbers against the expected attenuation for the yeast. And remember every time you mess with the beer you introduce a chance of infection. Why 4 days? Very few brews are going to be finished in 4 days.

the attenuation, should be the Apparent Attenuation? or the Real Attenuation. I checked around here at the forum and average is a 60% attenuation on this yeast..

After another week and a half check SG again. You can finish your brown ale with US-05 if the SG is still around 1.018 or higher and it tastes way to sweet. The US-05 will drop the SG to about 1.011. The US-05 will not affect the flavor profile which has already been set by the Windsor yeast. The US-05 will thin the beer a little and remove some of the sweet taste.

Has it completely floculated? Maybe the previously suggested recommendation of swirling the yeast back in to suspension will work.
I have had problems with this yeast in the past as well, but on higher gravity wort.

yeah its completely flocculated.. everything is on the bottom of the carboy already..looks like if i cold crashed lol

Yeah, Windsor works slowly in my experience. I once did a split batch, half with Notty and half with Windsor. The Notty was done in about 5 days, but the Windsor took more than double that long.

Yeah, Windsor works slowly in my experience. I once did a split batch, half with Notty and half with Windsor. The Notty was done in about 5 days, but the Windsor took more than double that long.

In my experience, Windsor is just about the fastest yeast on the planet. It will take any wort to 55-60% apparent attenuation in about 36 hours flat and then refuse to ferment any further and settle out like a rock. No amount of swirling the yeast back into suspension will get it going again. Nope. In 36 hours, it's all done. Wham bam.

yeah saw that happened on my batch ..!
ill leave it there for some more days.. im keg yesterday two other batches so now i have something to drink lol!

Latest posts

Back