Help with Wheat Recipe-Advice welcom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I am aiming to brew an extract wheat soon. I am also just starting to dabble in my own recipe creation. I have brewed several kits and several well tested recipes and the logical next step is to work on my creations. I would like to create an "American Wheat" that has both citrus and sweet/fruit notes. I would like it to stand on its own, but also be a base for possible fruit or spice addition down the road. This is what I've come up with using Beersmith:

5 gallon batch/full boil

4# Dry Wheat extract
2# Extra Light Dry extract - late addition

1 oz Hallertauer (4.8%) @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade (6.2%) @ 0 for aroma steep.

Safbrew Wheat WB-06 fermented @67*

OG: 1.052
IBU: 19
BU:SG: .364
SRM: 5.4
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.8%

I've tried to seek out advice in another area. One response was outlining the difference between Bavarian and American and that I should stick strict to one or the other. Another response was the American Wheat is a wide open platform and this should be good. The rest of the responses were folks simply offereing their own creations and recipes.

I would really like some more advise on the possible outcome of my recipe as to not brew a bad beer. Hybrid or different is fine, I like different things. I just don't want a train wreck. I would appreciate any critique or advice from the more experienced, but I would like to stick with my own creation or version of it so no need to take the time to detail your own creation. Thanks

I would really like some more advise on the possible outcome of my recipe as to not brew a bad beer. Hybrid or different is fine, I like different things. I just don't want a train wreck. I would appreciate any critique or advice from the more experienced, but I would like to stick with my own creation or version of it so no need to take the time to detail your own creation. Thanks

I don't think you have a train wreck here. Looks good to me. I like the ~20 IBU for an American Wheat... but I might suggest a 5-min addition of Cascade for some more citrus flavor... or moving some of the flame-out to 5-mins.

Never used WB-06, but other threads suggest it would be good for an American Wheat. It may still produce some clove & banana flavors, and fermentation temp may balance it more towards one or the other (higher temps have more banana). I've been using a neutral yeast in my American Wheats, as I prefer mine with no banana.

Let us know how it turns out!
:mug:
-LexusChris

Latest posts

Back