Help with understanding fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStow

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to home brewing from Ireland, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with rough fermentation time scales.

I would like to know the fermentation time scales for different beer styles, I've read loads about fermentation but I can't find anything that says the times for different beer styles and what's the quickest time for beer to be brewed 1month?

Is there any great reads or links that would really help me understand everything as I really want to get into it.

I started my first batch on the 30th December, it fermented for 8 days before bottling and I left it in the spare room until yesterday, when I moved it to the garage.

Does this sound right?

Thanks very much in advance :)

There is no simple guide for this, because home brewers have access to many different kinds of yeast, all of which ferment a bit differently from each other. Some are aggressive; some are restrained. Some like it warm, some like it cool. Add in the fermentability of different worts - how much sugar is present based on aspects of how it was brewed - and you can see the list of variables mounting.

That's the real answer.

The short answer is that you "can" brew and bottle beer in a week if you really want to, with certain choices being made. For the most part, though, brewing requires patience. You'll get more out of it the more time you give the process. At the very beginning it's natural to be totally impatient and rush things, but if you have several beers in different states of brewing, fermenting, and conditioning, that feeling of urgency should subside and you'll "do the right thing."

If I were telling friend how long it takes, someone without any real knowledge of the subject, I'd say about a month. But that's an overly simple answer.

Fermentation occurs rather fast, usually within a week. I tend to just wait 10 days no matter what as that keeps things simple. I think perhaps the question you are asking is how long to get bottle conditioned or maybe just how long to age beers. In both of these cases this isn't really fermentation (though I suppose bottle conditioning is going through the same process) so your post may not get quite the right response. My rule of thumb for bottle conditioning is 3 weeks in the bottle, though by 2 weeks things are pretty good too. As for aging, this varies. Hoppy beers (IPAs) deteriorate over time so the earlier the better. Other beers, I don't know. I've had stouts and porters that aged 6+ months and were much better. Some ambers and reds where better after 2-3 months.

What McKnuckle says with a couple of additions:

Pitching rate is a big deal as well
Gravity plays the big roles as well as yeast type
With the exception of some serious specialty beers, style is not the concern it is yeast type and OG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/

That whole section is on fermentation

Rule of thumb is pretty simple but NOT foolproof:

Two weeks for 1.060 OG beers (and smaller) is the minimum...three weeks preferred and this is assuming ale yeast fermenting in the middle of its temperature range.

Start with wort at bottom of the yeasts temperature range as it will produce heat. Raise the temp after the highest level of activity in ferementor is over.

Now you existing beer. If it was using an aggressive yeast and was fermented at room temperature of about 68 F (20C) and the bee was not over ly strong with a high OG...you are likely fine but the long it is in the bottle the better.

I do push a lot of my session beers (normally 1.040'ish OG) and keg them in a few days but only when I do a some tricks to make it ferment quickly.

Rules of thumb*:

Standard ales: 3-7 days to complete primary fermentation.
Standard lagers: 1-3 weeks to complete primary fermentation.

*Sometimes it may take longer to ferment out if you have high starting gravity, do not pitch enough yeast, or if the yeast is prone to stalling. Many homebrewers will suggest leaving ales in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks before transferring for packaging. I generally give at least 3 weeks before kegging, but could imagine that 2 weeks would be OK, as long as the fermentation is complete. I stick to 3-4 weeks because I am comfortable assuming fermentation is complete and that there has been time for the yeast to "cleanup". The only way to be "almost" sure that fermentation is over is to monitor specific gravity and wait until it is stable for several days or so. "Almost" because with some yeasts you can never be 100% sure (Belgian Saison is the only one I have had stall multiple times). I don't like taking samples for most beers, so I just give it my minimum time in fermenter.

I would say your first batch was a little rushed to bottling. I suggest giving at least 2 weeks before bottling, preferably 3-4 weeks.

Thanks very much guys

I stuck 1 beer (which is a young buddy's lager) in the fridge until it was chilled and it actually tasted nice......it was drinkable but I'm leaving it in the garage until my birthday (5th Feb) to open them all :).

Any recommendations for my next brew ??

As they said, have patience. I have a pretty good pipeline going so I usually brew and leave it in the primary until a keg opens up, unless it's a beer that specifically is better young then I will plan accordingly. I rarely take fg reading as I don't think I ever keg anything before 3-4 weeks along.

Have fun and stick with kits or tried recipes before trying anything crazy. You will want to try crazy. Save the time and money and don't do it yet.

Edit: 2-3 weeks in the bottle is usually good for cabonation. When I bottled I would usually crack 1 open every week until it was good to go.

Latest posts

Back