help with this red warrior PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
hey i want a "red eyed warrior " pale ale ....
but i dont have a clue what im doing so im winging it
will that c120 give me a nice red color ? idk if my LHBS has cara red

11# pale 2 row
1# caramel120
.5#crystal 10
.5#vienna
.25#cara pils

1oz warrior @ 60
.25warrior @ 40
.25 warrior @ 20
.25 glaicer @ 1
.25 warrior @ 1
Dry hop .25 warrior .25 cascade

nottingham?

That is a lot of carmel 120. And at that rate is going to be more brown. Try a pound of med crystal like 50-60L, I like british crystals and then 2-3 oz of finely crush Carafa III. You can stir it in a few minutes before sparging to get a nice red color without too much flvor Something like this:

11# Pale Malt
1# Crystal 50-60L
.5# Crystal 10L
then 2-3 oz Carafa III

You don't need the .5# of vienna, it will get lost in that recipe and is a waste, you also don't need the carapils. It will only add more body to an already highly crystal beer. The rest looks pretty damn good. I use almost the same grainbill all the time for anything red, Irish or American Amber, red IPA etc and it works brilliantly for a deep red color.

BTW Carared does not make your beer red. It is like a 20L crystal malt, which would not make it red. I;ve used it a number of times and I can concur. Weyermann is lying to people saying that nonsense.

great thanks

i only threw in the cara plis and vienna
because i have exactly that much sitting in the basement.....
what is carafa 3 ? and is there any substitutions >?

Carafa 3 is a dehusked roasted malt. You can use black malt or roasted barley as well. Again add a few minutes prior to sparging for color. Good luck

thanks idk if the LHBS will have it but ill go with the roasted barley if they dont

the hop additions look ok?
im just using what i have in the freezer.....

i also have about .25ea of cluster and liberty
should i throw them in some where ?

Depends what you want out of the hops. You want balanced, bitter, hop flavor, what?

id say ballanced. i dont want it overly bitter (warrior 17.5%aa)
i want to taste and have nice aroma thats why i wante to dry hop with what little cascade i have left

Ok then I'd move the .25 warrior to 10 minutes or dry hop. You can dry hop with the liberty too, it's nice. The cluster is out! Lol!

That's the .25 of warrior at 40 minutes to 10 minutes or dry hop, to clarify.

ok will i get enought bittering with the oz of warrrior @60 or should i add somthing else to bitter with ?
whats is so out about the cluster ? i kinda like the smell of them .... i think its actually less than a 1/4 any way

Put the recipe into a calculator like hopville.com and that will tell you the IBU. I'd say you need at least 35-40 to balance the rest is filled in the last 10 minutes to 0 and dryhop. Will get you balance, flavor and aroma.

I don't mind cluster but how many different hops profiles you want mix is up to you. I find it gets muddled when you use many different hops in small amounts. You can dryhop with it if you want to b

Haha. You are welcome. Let me know how it comes out. I've got a bitter and a smoke ale to brew this weekend! Plus to me at least brewing it is the best part!

Latest posts

Back