Help with stc-1000 programming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased an stc-1000 controller the other day, and was initially intimidated by the whole process of setting it up. The threads we have here are paramount to doing it right, and I am grateful for all of them. The instructions that come with the controller are dismal at best, and thanks again for all the postings and help.

I just completed wiring and setting up my stc 1000. I included an always on outlet and a cooling outlet. It was a simple task using the information included in this thread and the many threads on wiring it. Thanks to all who have contributed. I am learning a lot by reading these threads. Now I just have to complete my keezer build. Thanks again!!!!

I wired my stc-1000 /fermentation chamber today. I was testing my wiring before completing the install. I plugged it in and got the "EE" error and an alarm. I checked to manual and was kinda bummed because it states that you get the error/alarm when you have a short. I felt my wiring was sound. I was going to pull it apart and recheck and rewire but I decided to put it down and take a break...during said break I had a thought. Could it be the temp probe? Turns out I was getting the error/alarm because I had not connected the temp probe yet. Probe Connected...no alarm...All good!

I wired my stc-1000 /fermentation chamber today. I was testing my wiring before completing the install. I plugged it in and got the "EE" error and an alarm. I checked to manual and was kinda bummed because it states that you get the error/alarm when you have a short. I felt my wiring was sound. I was going to pull it apart and recheck and rewire but I decided to put it down and take a break...during said break I had a thought. Could it be the temp probe? Turns out I was getting the error/alarm because I had not connected the temp probe yet. Probe Connected...no alarm...All good!

Awesome, glad you got it figured out. Those simple solutions are usually the hardest to figure out. Enjoy!

Hey guys! Looking for help setting the temperature on my single-stage stc-1000. Right now I've got it hooked up to a chest freezer and plan on using it as an outdoor fermentation chamber.

How do I go about setting this one up? It's a little different than the typical model... image attached.

photo.jpg

I'm into control and precision as well (that's why I built a PID controlled E-BIAB rig). However, the folks who have measured in both places (middle with thermowell and taped/insulated on the outside of the fermenter) simultaneously report that they see a very small (about 1*F) difference in temp between the two locations during the most active phase of fermentation.

Since fermentation is going on within the entire space of the fermenter, it appears that it's occurring within that narrow 1*F range with it happening just slightly warmer in the middle compared to around the sides (where there is actually quite a lot of the volume).

In the final analysis, measuring at the side of the fermenter, if securely attached and well-insulated from the ambient air, gives you a very useable, accurate reading without having to stick a thermowell down into your beer. I'm comfortable with that.

Beer actually stirs itself pretty well during active fermentation. Brewstorms are fun to watch :)

I also found the stick and insulate method works great.

Have this all set up - but nothing kicks on for heat or cooling. I've attached both a fan and a lamp for testing, and the temperate is measuring perfectly - I've waited for the delay time (the light has stopped flashing, and the unit made a click sound) but nothing has turned on.

I've tried all sorts of temperature settings - and the display always works correctly (ie: switches from cooling to heating when it should), but the attached device does not turn on. I have tested one of the devices in the wall socket - works fine, the other one had stripped wires to begin with, so did not test directly, but it's just a lamp (and the light bulb was tested).

Am I missing something obvious? Is the unit defective? Anyone have this issue?

Have this all set up - but nothing kicks on for heat or cooling. I've attached both a fan and a lamp for testing, and the temperate is measuring perfectly - I've waited for the delay time (the light has stopped flashing, and the unit made a click sound) but nothing has turned on.

I've tried all sorts of temperature settings - and the display always works correctly (ie: switches from cooling to heating when it should), but the attached device does not turn on. I have tested one of the devices in the wall socket - works fine, the other one had stripped wires to begin with, so did not test directly, but it's just a lamp (and the light bulb was tested).

Am I missing something obvious? Is the unit defective? Anyone have this issue?

I had this problem the other day when I was wiring my STC. It turns out I had overlooked that the fridge still needs some 'direct' power from the wall in order to kick on. I didn't have my hot and neutral wires connected with a wire nut, so my fridge wouldn't turn on.

Believe it or not, this diagram (done in Microsoft Paint) helped quite a bit:

wiringstc1000.jpg

Hope that helps!

I was searching for a temp controller and stumble across the Johnson Control A19... Was wondering if it's worth the extra money?

There are 4 options on the STC-1000

F1 - Set temp
F2 - Differential
F3 - Compressor Delay
F4 - Calibration

Press and hold that S-button until you see F1 on the display. You then release the S-button and can use the up or down arrows to move from F1 through F4.

If you have F1 showing, HOLD the S button and while holding it (for me this takes two hands) press the up or down arrows to pick the temperature you want it set at. Once you have the set temp you want, release the S-button, and press the power button once to save it. If you forget to press the power button when you're done, the STC-1000 won't save your change.

In normal operations, the STC-1000 display will always show the actual temperature reading from the probe. The only way to know your set temp is to get into the settings like this.

[Edit 1] I just remembered you can make the STC-1000 show your set temp by just pressing the up or down button (I forget which) while it's in normal operation mode. You can't change the settings this way, but it will display the set temp for you.

F2 is the temperature differential, as I mentioned. Same deal. Press and hold the S button until F1 shows up. Release the S button, and press the up or down arrow to get to F2. Once you're on F2, HOLD the S-button again and press the up and down arrows to pick a differential. 0.5 or 1C is usually fine, but fine tune it to your system. If you have it set at 1.0, and the temperature of the liquid gets 1C over your set temp, the cooling plug will kick in. The reverse is true for heating.

F3 is the timer delay for engaging the cooling unit, and is to preserve the compressor of your chest freezer, fridge, AC unit, etc...

F4 is temperature calibration. Always test your temp probe with a known temperature, boiling water, freezing water, or something in between using another temp probe you trust to compare. If it's off, you can make adjustments.

Happy brewing!

[Edit 2] When you test the STC-1000 don't freak out if your cooling outlet doesn't power up right away. It will wait for the differential period before kicking on. If you're differential is set for 7 minutes, wait 7 minutes before you go ripping wires out! Like I did for 2 hours before I figured out why my cooling outlet wasn't working.

Thanks for that, very easy to follow. My only question: I have (2) temp probes, I think one is for the Fermenter and one is for the Chamber. How do I select which one to monitor?

BFD, these instructions are for the original STC-1000, and not the new + models that have after market programming flashed onto them. I don't think the originals were set up to have two separate temperature probes. Sorry!

Shout out a big thanks to pfgonzo and BigFloyd, in Posts 4 and 5 of this thread. Made setting my STC-1000 a breeze; simple as could be. My keezer is now cooling to my initial serving temp of 40 (4.4) degrees. The freezer initially kicked on after the 3 minute default time before I had a chance to reset it to 10 minutes. I'm really happy with my Fridgidaire 7.8 cu. ft. freezer (bought new). I can barely hear it running when standing right next to it. In addition, my two coffin cooling fans are totally quiet; can't hear them at all.

Back