Help With Smoked Malt in Rauch Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I brewed a Classic Rauchbier that was very good, but I want MORE smoke! Here is my recipe:

5# Beechwood Smoked Malt
5# Pilsener
1.75# Munich
.75# Caramunich
.25# Melanoiden
.13# Black Patent
1.5 oz Hallertau 60
.5 oz Hallertau 10

I've read that you can go 100% of your grist with the smoked malt if you want more smoke flavor. I guess I need help on what that means as far as my recipe goes. I assume that would mean 11.75# of smoked malt along with the Caramunich, Melanoiden, and Black Patent?

That would work. You can always throw in an ounce or two of peat malt, though from what I understand it isn't necessarily the same smoke flavor as regular smoked malt.

That would work. You can always throw in an ounce or two of peat malt, though from what I understand it isn't necessarily the same smoke flavor as regular smoked malt.

Careful of peated malt. It's nothing like smoked malt and will lend phenolic (iodine for me) flavors and aromas.

I brewed a Classic Rauchbier that was very good, but I want MORE smoke! Here is my recipe:

5# Beechwood Smoked Malt
5# Pilsener
1.75# Munich
.75# Caramunich
.25# Melanoiden
.13# Black Patent
1.5 oz Hallertau 60
.5 oz Hallertau 10

I've read that you can go 100% of your grist with the smoked malt if you want more smoke flavor. I guess I need help on what that means as far as my recipe goes. I assume that would mean 11.75# of smoked malt along with the Caramunich, Melanoiden, and Black Patent?

Yup, just bump the base grains to 100% smoked malt. In this case, use 10lb of smoked and leave the rest as is. No need to replace the munich.

Careful of peated malt. It's nothing like smoked malt and will lend phenolic (iodine for me) flavors and aromas.

I knew it had a different smokey flavor than traditional smoked malt, and if I remember, you should never add more than 2oz. I wouldn't say I ever tasted iodine, but then again, I haven't really drank iodine :p lol jk.

Back