Help with pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
recently purchased a single tier brutus. love it. but.......the pumps on it(march pumps) wont prime very easy. I was thinking my lines may be too long. but asi have been away from brewing for a few years I started reading some old notes. do I need a grant vessel for these pumps?

if so, I need some serious advice,want to brew again this weekend.

thanks, and its good to be back!

I find it works well to close the exit valve on the pump before opening the valve on the kettle. Let all of the air bubble out of the input tubing before you open the pump valve, and the wort should push right through the pump head.

What is the style of pump head? If they are the inline style then the inlet needs to be on the bottom and the outlet on the top. Do not restrict the input at all.

The pumps could be well loved. If this is the case the teflon bushings inside the pumps could be worn out and causing issues. Might be something to look into.

Agreed with the above. Post a pic. Ideally you want the inlet at the 0600 position, and have your regulating valve on the output side (1200).

IMG_1271.jpg

recently purchased a single tier brutus. love it. but.......the pumps on it(march pumps) wont prime very easy.
They don't prime at all... they need to be placed well below the vessel with no loops or low points in the hose. A bleeder valve to release trapped air helps a lot.

Back