Help with procedure of making hard apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoreagain

Reaction score
Before I say anything let me tell you I am a complete newbie and this is my first attempt at this, thanks for any help in advance!
Attached is a picture of my setup, I had to bootleg the airlock as I don't have anywhere to get one right now. I have not put in my yeast or sugar yet, because my local health shop was closed today and they are the only place that sells brewers yeast(what I think I'm supposed to get). I plan on heating up the cider a bit and dissolving the sugar in that, then After that I plan to put the yeast in, shake that up, then if what I've read is correct I should leave the gallon to sit for ~3 weeks or until the bubbling has slowed to about once a minute. Im wondering if I have to do anything while the yeast ferments?
Also:
-the best kind of yeast?
-how much sugar?
-how can I tell it is working?
-I got pasteurized apple juice with no preservatives (organic) and white sugar

photo-2.jpg

Ive made a cider recipe using white labs cider yeast, it works really well, if you can get it Id go with that. Depending on how much alcohol you want, Id use at least a pound of sugar. Check your gravity after you mix it in real well to see if its where you want it to be, if not add more. Also check in the recipe section in forums, they have a section on ciders you can browse other peoples recipes and see what they have done.

Let me know how it comes out

My favorite ciders have no added sugar to boost the ABV- it's just cider.

Cider + good quality ale yeast = great tasting hard cider. I'd look for dry S04 (may have to order it when you order the airlock), or nottingham ale yeast.

Adding sugar means less "apple" taste in the finished cider, and a more dry white wine flavor. That's good if you're looking for that, but most new cidermakers are not looking for apple wine.

Don't heat your cider! You'll set the pectins in it (think apple jelly) and heating it changes the way it tastes. Check and make sure the cider is preservative free.

Brewers yeast from a health food store is probably not what you want. They sell denatured (dead) brewers yeast for health supplements, but those are no good for fermentation. You may have to order the correct yeast online if you can't find ale yeast in a local store.

thanks for the reply, I'm using pasteurized organic apple juice with no preservatives, not cider, does that change wether or not i should heat it?

thanks for the reply, I'm using pasteurized organic apple juice with no preservatives, not cider, does that change wether or not i should heat it?

Well, think about this. The difference between a cooked apple, like in apple pie or jam, vs the flavor of a raw apple. If you heat your cider, you'll get much more of a "cooked apple" flavor, and it also will not want to clear once you set the pectins (think apple jelly).

There is no advantage to heating the juice, but plenty of reasons why not to.

There are so many paths to choose when making hard ciders. Thats what makes it fun. I usually add about a pound of brown sugar per gallon of juice used. Im going to have to try it with no extra sugar added! Learn something everyday. Your airlock looks good to me. Yeah i would also get some good yeast. Nottingham seems to be the yeast of choice for many. Good luck

Back