Help with priming/yeast addition to a big barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacks

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I brewed, and I've had a sour and a big barleywine going for 16 months now, and I finally am getting around to bottling tomorrow. However, the last barleywine I did was so flat it could hardly be called beer. This time, I am planning on putting in the casking/bottle conditioning yeast, and the info the guy at my local HBS sounded a bit sketchy to me, especially because the golden rule of sanitation is don't put anything that's not sanitized in a bottle before capping. His suggestion was that I put my priming sugar into the beer (currently at 1.020 down from 1.132), and then "just put a pinch" of the CBC yeast into each bottle. I would like second and third opinions on this, since the only way I can see myself putting any in with my hands is if I soak my hand in Starsan with the bottles for the allotted 30 seconds of bottle sterilization, then handling the yeast, but even then, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it. Any tips or pointers as far as priming sugar would be welcome too, since the last couple batches I have underprimed (2.4 oz for 5 gallons and 2.7 oz for 5 gallons, and yes, I checked to make sure gravity had halted before bottling) and they have still been overcarbed. Thanks in advance, and happy brewing!

Back