Help with OG calc - Beersmith vs. Hopville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine how much DME to use and I'm getting two pretty different OG calculations when I use Beersmith and Hopville. Can someone tell me which one is more accurate? Below is the recipe. This is an extract recipe but using a full boil. The Beersmith has a 1.056 OG with 71.6 IBU's (based on a 6.5 gallon boil volume) and Hopville has a 1.061 OG with 70.4 IBU's. So the IBU's are close but the OG is a decent amount off. If I up the DME to 7 lbs it bumps the Beersmith OG to 1.065 which I would think IPA's should be in the 1.06 range. I'm hoping for a pretty balance IPA. Any help would be appreciated.

Recipe:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 63.16 %
1.00 lb Crystal Rye (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
2.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Magnum [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 44.7 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Challenger [7.20 %] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 oz Challenger [7.20 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (0 min)
Safale US-05

No calculator will line up exactly. Each one uses slightly different calculations.

Did you make sure to enter all your grains as steeped rather than mashed? Are the efficiencies set to the same thing in each program? I know hopville defaults to 75% and I am unsure what Beersmith would be set to, I think it depends on the equipment profile you are using.

Either way, dont fret about it too much. As long as it is in the range you should be fine.

Edit your recipe to include the exact malt(s) from the maltster, e.g. - Briess Golden Light DME, Weyermann Rye, or Great Western Munich 10L. Then make sure the ppg/L ratings for these malts are accurate. Reason being, not all Extra Light DME, Munich malt, etc. will have the same ratings.

If this doesn't help, then one program could be accounting for the boil size, batch size, boil-off loss, trub loss, etc. whereas the other program is not.

Thanks for the answers.

I'd have to go check but I'm pretty sure all my specialty grains were steeped. I didn't notice an efficiency number in Hopville so I'll have to go back and look. Unfortunately with their latest release it doesn't let you edit recipes so I'd have to create it all over again. I'm pretty sure I used Briess for my DME but not sure if the specialty grains had a brand associated with it. Hopville didn't have anything for boil size but I think this only affects IBU's, not gravity.

Any suggestions for whether you think this recipe would be better with 6 or 7 lbs (or somewhere in between) of DME? Or any other suggestions.

Hopville lets you edit recipes... you have to register an account. just go to your profile then your recipe then in the top right click "recalculus"

And the efficiency number it uses is listed under the gravities and color on the right.

Hopville lets you edit recipes... you have to register an account. just go to your profile then your recipe then in the top right click "recalculus"

And the efficiency number it uses is listed under the gravities and color on the right.

Thanks! I tried that the other day and it didn't do anything so I assumed it was an issue with the new website. I'll have to check it out and make sure both programs are in sync.

Another question: In Beersmith, there is no option for Steeped. Do I just select Grain as the type?

I redid my number and ensured the potentials for all my grains were the same in both programs but Beersmith was 6 points higher in OG. Seems like a lot seeing as they are the exact same recipes with the same OG potentials.

Another question: In Beersmith, there is no option for Steeped. Do I just select Grain as the type?

I redid my number and ensured the potentials for all my grains were the same in both programs but Beersmith was 6 points higher in OG. Seems like a lot seeing as they are the exact same recipes with the same OG potentials.

No, set it up as an "extract" batch if there is no mash. You have three choices for the type- "extract", partial mash, and all grain. If you're not mashing, set it up as an extract batch.

You'll get an icon telling you that certain grains must be mashed on the left, but if you're not mashing them, you're not mashing them.

Sorry Yooper, I actually meant in the specific grain profile. It lists Grain, Extract, Sugar, Adjunct, and Dry Extract. I didn't know if selecting grain (since there isn't a steep option) affects the OG potential at all.

Of course now I realize I made a mistake in Beersmith so the OG estimates ended up being pretty close (only .003 different) so that makes me feel better.

edit - I've been playing around with these recipes too long, this is messing with my brain. The difference is .005. I left off some crystal malt from my updated recipe. Beersmith has 1.065 and Hopville has 1.070.

Back