Help with 'leftovers' recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Hey there...I'd like to brew up small 3 gal batch of something over the holiday buy due to a medical emergency, I missed my LHBS. All I have on hand is about 4oz of Pils, 1lb of light DME, flaked wheat(12oz), lots of caramel malts(probably 2 lbs of varying color), some smoked Briess(4oz) some carafe and then lots of choco, black patent and roasted barley. I have some fresh Windsor dry yeast, an expired pack of US05 and an expired pack of S33. Hops are all over...Tett, Williamette, EKG, challenger, cascade and more. Any thoughts...I'm open to all suggestions. TIA

Even with going with a 3 gallon batch, your 1 lb of DME isn't going to get you very far, about an original gravity of 1.015. The 4 ounces of Pilsner will add almost no gravity points and nothing else you have is a base malt. I'm not sure you can brew much of anything without another pound of DME or some other base malt.

2 lb Crystal (assuming an average of 60L)
4 oz Pilsner
2 oz Smoked
1 oz Carafa I
1 oz Chocolate

1 lb Light DME

0.5 Tettanger (60 min)
0.5 Willamette (15 min)

Windsor

3.35% abv
17.88 ibu
Mild, Southern English Brown, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Specialty Beer, Dark Mild, London Brown Ale

Settle for 2 gallons
5.02 abv
26.82 ibu
American Brown Ale, Robust Porter, Sweet Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Specialty Beer, Czech Dark Lager, Sweet Stout, Oatmeal Stout, American Brown Ale, American Porter

Split the difference at 2.5 gallons
4.02 abv
21.46 ibu
Brown Porter, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Specialty Beer, English Porter

2 lb Crystal (assuming an average of 60L)
4 oz Pilsner
2 oz Smoked
1 oz Carafa I
1 oz Chocolate

1 lb Light DME

Yeah, it would have to be something like this, but (technically speaking) that's a metric ****-ton of crystal by percentage. I don't know if I would want to drink that.

as a general rule you don't want more than 20% of your grist to be specialty grains.
how about a one gallon batch?
this would technically be a partial (mini) mash & the numbers put it just in brown ale territory
1 lb DME (added at flame out)
4 oz pilsner
2 oz c60
1 oz chocolate malt
.5 oz roasted barley
mash @ 152 x 60 mins in 4 qts water
7 g Willamette @ 60
7 g EKG @ 5
ferment with s-05
OG 1.054
FG 1.010
5.86% abv
36.21 IBU

I say go for an American mild... It is going to be sweet, from heavy crystal malt but, in efforts to helping a brother out. Pick up some oats from the grocery store and do a cereal mash to break down the starch... and then assuming 70% efficiency

Cereal with oats and wheat or try a longer mash at 152F
1lbs flaked oats
.75lbs flaked wheat
.75lbs crystal 60L
.25lbs pils
.10lbs chocolate

boil
1lbs dme at 60 mins
.5oz of EKG at 60 Mins
.25oz Cascade at 12Mins
.25oz Willamette Flameout

3gal
1.036OG
1.010FG
3.4%ABV
25IBUs
15.2SRM

Who's general rule?

well, a general rule means it's generally accepted by everyone but of course not without exception...
but, per "how to brew" by John Palmer.
" caramel malts are typically added...to 5-15% of the grain bill"
& kilned & roasted malts @ 1-5% per most maltsters
of course the great thing about homebrew is that it's your beer & you can make it how ever you prefer

Back