Help with going electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNTgill

Reaction score
So I will be moving in the next few months and will have a large finished basement that I want to start brewing in. The panel is in the basement and already has a 50amp 240v gfci in it for a hot tub. I have a 15 gallon BK, 10 gallon cooler mash tun, 10 gallon blichmann with a false bottom. I would like to build a Rims tube to stabilize temps and perform step mashes. I would like to use the blichmann to mash in. I have a bucket heater already that I can throw in the cooler and use as a hlt. My questions I'm planning on using Bobby's rim tube so what size element should I get. I usually only do 5 gallon batches but occasionally will do 10 gallon low gravity batches. I was only going to have an element in the BK and rims tube. I already have 2 chugger pumps. I was wondering if there is a way to use just the auber ezboil to control both the rims element and BK. What, if any, diagram exists that would show how to do this. Any other suggestions or why this isn't a good plan.

yeah you can just unplug the Rims element and temp probe and plug in the BK element and temp probe to the ezboil panel you would build with plugs to do so. 1300w would work fine to maintain mash temps so a straight long 5500w element wired for 120v will give you 1375w with very low watt density and no chance of scorching but you would need to build your panel with a switch to go from 120 to 240v then... you can also go with a 4000w 240v element but Id look for a ULWD one myself.. a lwd one would work too but you just would have to keep an eye on it for flow problems which would lead to quicker scorching.

Back