Help with first IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagles87

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have yet to make an IPA, a shame I know. But I have put together a recipe and wanted to get some feedback.
I just started all grain brewing so my efficiency is about 72%. Any tips to improve this would also be appreciated.

This is for a 5 gallon batch
OG 1.075 FG 1.017 SRM 10.7 about 65 IBUs

Mash Schedule Single Step Infusion
154 for 60 min, mash out at 171

12# 2 Row
2 # Munich Malt
1 # Caramel 60L
4 oz Carapils

1 oz Chinook 10.5% 60 min
1 oz Centennial and 1 oz Amarillo 35 min (mixed and added gradually pellet at a time)

1 oz Cascade - dry hopped

Yeast - WLP001 California Ale

1.075 OG is closer to an Imperial IPA, you'll be getting close to 8% ABV depending on attenuation. That's great and all if that's what you're going for, but it's a bit strong. I also tend to prefer a my IPAs a bit dryer, around 1.012 FG, but that's a personal preference.

With the hops, centennial/amarillo should make a very tasty combo, but you'll get most of your hop flavor around 15-20 minutes from the end. You say "added gradually one pellet at a time" so if you're adding slowly enough that you get a good amount around that 20 min mark, you should be in good shape, otherwise I'd save a little (maybe .5oz) to add then.

Looks great though, should be tasty. :)

I'd also shoot for for a drier beer, maybe mash at a lower temp than 154.

Also...72% efficiency? That's pretty good...I don't think I'd worry about chasing a higher efficiency (but that is just me...)

I think it depends on what you like in an IPA and what you want to achieve. It's a really diverse style with a lot of variation (evidenced by the available craft brewery IPAs.)

That said, I think I'd lose the crystal. I think with the Munich/C60 & 154 degree mash it would be too sweet for my taste. I like the idea of the Munich but I'd balance it with some Victory or some other "toasty/biscuit" malt for a bit of complexity. I also would mash around 149-150 but I like going for a lot of attenuation and a pretty dry finish. I like the Cascade dry hop but would get some of that Centenial/Amarillo late (5 minutes.) I'd hop 60/30/5 (bitter/flavor/aroma) or even 60/15/5 minutes.

But that's just me, like I said it depends on what you want out of your IPA. Look forward to seeing what you decide and how it turns out. Cheers!

I think it's too much crystal. The Munich is ok for a stronger malt backbone.

I'd get rid of the crystal, keep the Munich.

I'd also target an OG of around 1.060-1.065 with IBUS of 60ish.

I'd hop more in the later additions, and add more dryhops.

I think it's too much crystal. The Munich is ok for a stronger malt backbone.

I'd get rid of the crystal, keep the Munich.

I'd also target an OG of around 1.060-1.065 with IBUS of 60ish.

I'd hop more in the later additions, and add more dryhops.

+1 on all these points. Yoop, I think you and I look for the same things in an IPA.

:off:St. Helena huh? I grew up there, left in 93'. cheers:mug:

I'd get rid of half of the 60L but not all of it. Loose the carapils. Hoppy beers do not need it if made right. I also think you need some hops after 20 minutes for some flavor (3-4 oz) and more dry hops for aroma. 2 oz at 35 and 1 oz for dry hop wont cut it.

Thanks for the tips. Here is what I have now. Let me know if it's a good improvement

update: I changed the timing of the hops again

OG 1.067 FG 1.015 SRM 10.3 about 58 IBUs

Mash Schedule Single Step Infusion
151 for 60 min, mash out at 171

10# 2 Row
2 # Munich Malt
8 oz Caramel 60L
4 oz Carapils

1 oz Chinook 10.5% 60 min
.5 oz Centennial 8.5% 20 min
.5 oz Amarillo 5% 20 min
.5 oz Centennial 8.5% 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo 5% 5 min

2 oz Cascade - dry hop

Yeast - WLP001 California Ale

I'd like to see more additions in the 0-20min range. I don't think 30min additions are that great.

And that's a buttload of dry hops. Some might say the hopping is unbalanced. A typical pale ale has 1oz at 10min and 1oz at 0min. I think of an IPA as having 50-100% more than this, and a double IPA to, well, double the IPA additions.

4oz of dry hops is on the very upper end for most IPAs - most people use 1-2oz dry hops.

Everything else looks good.

Back