Help with extract imperial IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made up this recipe and would like to know what you think. I'm open to changes to make this really hoppy imperial IPA. Take a look and let me know what your think

12lbs gold malt extract
1lb Briess caramel 40

Hops:
60 min-1oz centennial 1oz warrior
30 min- 1oz Amarillo
15 min- 1oz cascade
10 min- 1oz CTZ 1oz warrior
5 min- 1 oz simcoe and add 2lbs corn sugar
0 min- 1oz CTZ, 1oz simcoe, 1oz centennial
Dry hop: 1oz each of 0 min hops

Yeast: California ale

Please any suggestions would be great. This is my first.

Thanks

The 60 minute centennial is probably not needed.. I keep centennial for bittering.. Mostly because it is a good aromatic/flavor enhancing hop and you will not taste (much) at that stage in the boil.. Warrior/magnum/columbus all good-high level alpha hops for bittering.

Warrior at 10min will likely hide some of the amarillo IMHO.

I suppose my overview, if this is your first recipe, is to simplify the hop schedules... Have you done any single hop brews yet? This gives you an EXCELLENT method of learning each hop and how it plays out at different additions. I only suggest this since you state it is your first recipe.

I just did a single hop Columbus IPA this week.. excited to try it and learn Columbus well. Have done several others and have learned to stay clear of a few hops that I dislike.

Back