help with co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrinda

Reaction score
OK, so I am new to kegging and I don't know if this problem is me, my setup, or something else. I picked up a 5# tank two days ago. I immediately hooked it up to my keg and began the quick carb process. When I opened the regulator, it showed 700 psi. Then I put everything in the fridge. The next morning (yesterday), the regulator showed 400 - 500 psi. I thought that the reduction in pressure was due to the reduction in temperature. Then, when I came home from work today, the tank was completely empty. I don't think that there are any leaks. It was dispensing fine until it went empty. Now I am wondering if I got a mostly empty tank or if I have a major leak.

First things, first. Do you have two dials? If so, I certainly hope you're reading the wrong one. If you're "quick carbing", then you should be no higher than 30 PSI. Serving pressure should be between 9-12PSI.

Please learn your equipment before you have a terrible accident.

First, clearly you do have a major leak. The first thing to do is make sure you actually have a gasket between the tank valve outlet and the regulator inlet coupler. Without that gasket you're pretty much guaranteed to have a healthy leak.

Second, the high pressure gauge reflects vapor pressure levels only - and those vary greatly with temperature. A properly filled tank will have a vapor pressure of around 850 psi at 70°F, but when cooled to say 40°F the vapor pressure will drop to around 575°F. And it will remain there until the tank empties to around 15% of maximum fill, when the pressure will start to drop.

Finally, when you get your tank refilled/swapped, mix up some dishwashing liquid and water and start checking all of the gas line connections all the way to the keg - and then check the keg, especially the lid gasket integrity. You're definitely losing gas, and if you actually did have a good gasket between the tank and regulator, you need to find that leak or keep paying for CO2...

Cheers!

You have a leak. What you need to do, once you get the tank refilled, is submerge any components you can underwater in a big bucket or tub and look for bubbles. Then put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the connections you can't submerge. The leak may be surprisingly small, with only a few tiny bubbles, so take your time and check everything very carefully. Make sure you have the plastic gasket in between the tank and regulator (unless it's the type with the integrated o-ring), and make sure it's screwed on nice and tight. And once you find a leak and fix it, that doesn't mean you should stop checking the rest of the system. There may be more than one leak.

Edit: I type too slow.

First things first, definitely did not apply 700 psi to the keg. I was talking about the tank pressure. I initially had 30 psi regulated to the keg. So, my assumption that the ~500 psi being due to temperature was accurate. I replaced all of the gaskets on the keg prior to filling it. I used Teflon tape on the gas line threads at the regulator connection. And the tank connection has an integrated seal. When I get more gas I will re-seat and re-seal all the connections, and then I will do a leak check. Thanks for the help.

First things first, definitely did not apply 700 psi to the keg. I was talking about the tank pressure. I initially had 30 psi regulated to the keg. So, my assumption that the ~500 psi being due to temperature was accurate. I replaced all of the gaskets on the keg prior to filling it. I used Teflon tape on the gas line threads at the regulator connection. And the tank connection has an integrated seal. When I get more gas I will re-seat and re-seal all the connections, and then I will do a leak check. Thanks for the help.

Spray StarSan on all your connections and look for bubbles.

JohnnyO said:
First things, first. Do you have two dials? If so, I certainly hope you're reading the wrong one. If you're "quick carbing", then you should be no higher than 30 PSI. Serving pressure should be between 9-12PSI.

Please learn your equipment before you have a terrible accident.

I fast carb my beers at 40-50 psi no problem. Won't hurt a thing.

Do you have an O-ring gasket between the tank output and regulator? I've run into that problem before. If or once you do, make sure the nut is torqued tightly. Also are your hoses clamped tightly? Hose barbs should also be connected to the regulator threaded with Teflon tape. A CO2 tank filled at refrigeration temp always hangs around 600 PSI for a long time no matter how full it is. It should only go below <450 when it starts getting low and a recharge is needed in the near future.

You can isolate a keg leak from the rest of the system leaking by presurizing the system without the keg attached. Turn on the gas and then shut off the tank valve. Spray all connections with soapy water or Starsan. If there are no bubbles and the secondary presure guage stays the same over several hours or days, the leak is at the keg.

Ok, well I got a new tank, and then I started by resealing everything. After that I did a soap test and noticed a significant amount of bubbles at the regulator end connection of one of the gas lines. So I re-taped and reseated that end. Then I applied gas again and checked every possible point from where gas could leak and I found no bubbles, to include all connections on the keg. Thanks all for the help. Hopefully it stays sealed.

Latest posts

Back