Help with BoPils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuu

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have a question about brewing a Pilsner Urquell clone. I got the kit off of AHS but happened to lose their recipe. For the hop schedule on a 5gal brew they gave me 6 oz of Sterling at 7.2%AA. There's no way a 40ibu BoPils will use that in a boil for much. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to hop schedule the hops they gave me? I do specialty grain steep with late LME addition.

I also remember from before I lost it. They had designed the recipe with saaz, but had just crossed all of the saaz references out and replaced with sterling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a big %AA difference between those two.

Two ounces seems about right. You could add 1.5 oz for the full boil and another .5 oz for the last 20 minutes. Obviously somebody at the store simply switched Sterling for Saaz without knowing and/or looking at the differences in AA%. Some of the recent Saaz I've seen are quite low ~2.5%AA and it probably would require six ounces of those.

Two ounces seems about right. You could add 1.5 oz for the full boil and another .5 oz for the last 20 minutes. Obviously somebody at the store simply switched Sterling for Saaz without knowing and/or looking at the differences in AA%. Some of the recent Saaz I've seen are quite low ~2.5%AA and it probably would require six ounces of those.

Yes, I have some Czech saaz, and it's 2.7% AA! So just subbing the sterling in the right amounts for the AA would work great.

I like a bit of hops at 10 minutes and 0 minutes in a BoPils, so I'd probably go with something like:

1.5 ounce 60.0 min (or to get the correct IBUs)
1.00 ounce 10.0 min
.75 ounce 0 minutes

Thanks. I ended up adding about an ounce and a quarter for the full boil, 0.75 at 10, and 0.6 at 0. So we'll see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back