Help With American Amber Recipe Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
I have all my ingredients milled and ready to go for this weekend for what was supposed to be an AAA. For whatever reason I went off of something I read and didn't punch it into a calculator and now that I have it's only coming in around 6SRM. Definitely not amber. Below are the grains I currently have. What could I add to this recipe to bump it closer to style? Thanks!

11# 2-row
.75# C-40
.5# Munich
.25# C-120

FWIW, hops are some combination of Magnum, Amarillo and Centennial. Yeast is US-05.

I wouldn't want more crystal so maybe a small amount 2oz of chocolate malt. In this low of usage you won't get roasted note as much as a slight toasty character which could play nice IMO

I have all my ingredients milled and ready to go for this weekend for what was supposed to be an AAA. For whatever reason I went off of something I read and didn't punch it into a calculator and now that I have it's only coming in around 6SRM. Definitely not amber. Below are the grains I currently have. What could I add to this recipe to bump it closer to style? Thanks!

11# 2-row
.75# C-40
.5# Munich
.25# C-120

FWIW, hops are some combination of Magnum, Amarillo and Centennial. Yeast is US-05.

With an amber, you can easily go up to 15% as crystal/caramel malt. You have plenty of 120L, so I wouldn't add any more though!

I think something is wrong with your calculator, as I can't imagine that grain bill coming in at less than 10 SRM. It's not possible that it's at 6 SRM, unless your calculator doesn't count the 120L at all. Run it again, maybe using a different software.

Still, it's in style for color. If you want even more caramel (I do in an amber), you can bump up the 40L or add some 60L for some more flavor. Adequately hopped, a nice amber can have 10-15% crystal/caramel malt.

I don't disagree with yooper I just generally like about 10% crystal. But I also think she is right you should check because the srm as I would expect it to be higher as well.

Back