Help with a Concord grape Apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
I just had a Concord grape apple cider at a local farm that makes both. So do I make a cider and a wine and blend or can I use fresh pressed juice and must in one fermenter? If yes what do you think the ratio should be?

I can't remember. The grape was wine. They had other ciders too, low ABV. The combo I have no idea the ABV or ratio of juices.

I make a Grape / Apple wine with an SG of 1.100 50% of each juice ....turn out so good that I make a few 5 batches over a year

I make a Grape / Apple wine with an SG of 1.100 50% of each juice ....turn out so good that I make a few 5 batches over a year

So what did you start with? Apple juice, apples, grapes, must or just grape juice?

I just had a Concord grape apple cider at a local farm that makes both. So do I make a cider and a wine and blend or can I use fresh pressed juice and must in one fermenter? If yes what do you think the ratio should be?
Curious how this project turned out?

Cheers!

Curious how this project turned out?

Cheers!
Decided to experiment with some 100% FGJC....added 1/2cup to 1gal of conditioning cider...will sample in a couple days [emoji111]

I haven’t tried yet. Got some 71b-1122 so I’m gonna try a gal. batch.

Couldn't wait.....added 1/2cup FGJC to 1gal of my cinnamon cider......tastes great! [emoji111]

Now on my recurring list of flavors!

Curious how fermenting both apple & concord grape together would taste....vs just adding the FGJC post fermentation. Guessing a much more subtle grape presence.

Also...what's the sugar makeup of concord grapes....hmmm?

Last edited:
Lot more sugar in FGJC (41g) than FAJC(29g) - per serving

0322181627.jpg

Last year I tried an experiment: a half gallon of Concord grape juice, and half gallon of Niagara (white) grape juice, and a teaspoon of bread yeast. No sugar. This was just cheap bottled juice from Aldi.

I let if ferment for a couple of weeks until it started to clear, then fined it with gelatin. Bottled it like beer a week later. It was about 5 1/2 or 6%, and tasted really good. I think you could do the same with Concord grape juice and apple juice, but use a decent ale yeast and you might not have to mess with the gelatin. The ABV will be slightly lower because apple juice is not as sweet as grape so you might want to add a tiny bit of sugar but don't add much, maybe one ounce of sugar per gallon.

....adding the 1/2cup FGJC to 1gal conditioning cinnamon cider....is awesome combo! Adding to my list of regular mixes [emoji111]

Do you have a basic recipe to start with this? I recently inherited several gallons of grape juice and do not want to make wine. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a basic recipe to start with this? I recently inherited several gallons of grape juice and do not want to make wine. Thanks in advance!

What kind of grape juice, or do you know? Red or white? Fresh, frozen, or bottled? Are you wanting to make a kinda low alcohol (5.5 or 6%) sparkling wine that drinks like a beer or cider?

Latest posts

Back